Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: I feel guilty but.....

So a doctor's office gets broken into I find out, people going over to help clean up. Boyfriend and his mom might have to come over here because of looting, I'm not social distancing from bf, but both him and me are social distancing from his elderly mom (as I am from my mom).
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    My brother noted the dollar amount of property damage is miniscule compared to the amount of the Wall Street bailout, and that we have no problem addressing the concerns of the rich people in this country without worrying about the price tag.

Can’t make an omelet without breaking eggs?

Especially if the eggs are someone else’s property, home or livelihood?

Murder is bad. Arson is bad. Pillage is bad. They are crimes committed by individuals, not collective identities, and individuals should be held accountable for them.

It is odd to me that posters here seem to find it okay to have mob rule, so long as it is for a good cause. In this scenario, it's called being "hand wringey" to object to violence towards the community--so the logical inference is that if protestors decide to break into your building and go up the elevator and enter your condo as a show of solidarity with those you perceive as victims of the system, and proceed to destroy your home and subject you to personal danger, or blow up a car as you are walking to work and you die as collateral damage, or your child loses a limb or is blinded--that's okay under this scenario because the cause is just?

And if you think the kind of people who think it is okay to destroy someone's car or steal someone's liquor or steal a doctor's prescription pad are not going to decide it's okay to steal someone's loved one and subject them to sexual assault or murder the fat old man who sits in their way of taking his liquor and his home--why are you ignoring the whole of human history?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    It is odd to me that posters here seem to find it okay to have mob rule, so long as it is for a good cause. In this scenario, it's called being "hand wringey" to object to violence towards the community--so the logical inference is that if protestors decide to break into your building and go up the elevator and enter your condo as a show of solidarity with those you perceive as victims of the system, and proceed to destroy your home and subject you to personal danger, or blow up a car as you are walking to work and you die as collateral damage, or your child loses a limb or is blinded--that's okay under this scenario because the cause is just?

And if you think the kind of people who think it is okay to destroy someone's car or steal someone's liquor or steal a doctor's prescription pad are not going to decide it's okay to steal someone's loved one and subject them to sexual assault or murder the fat old man who sits in their way of taking his liquor and his home--why are you ignoring the whole of human history?
    And sometimes the collateral damage includes a fire in a building with children. That’s just a sad byproduct of The Struggle, I guess. Blocking fire equipment from getting there seems extreme, but what do I know about accomplishing liberation.

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/05/31/its...bout-protests/

All of that said, there is something to be said for the Ferguson law enforcement reaction which was to let buildings burn and keep personal conflict between cops and protesters to a minimum. While there was plenty of violence, no one died and they are content with that outcome.

Here's a history lesson from another time that many of us remember, when the SLA was out fighting for justice for the oppressed, and taking on the establishment:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexp...-myrna-opsahl/

The people who killed her were romanticized, too. At the time, she was considered part of the "establishment" and her death was acceptable collateral damage to some.

None of it is good. But 200 years of racism and hate crimes makes people a little frustrated.

Last night in St. Louis four police officers were shot in the rioting after protests. Gasoline was poured on policeman. That could’ve gone incredibly wrong. And oh yeah this is where it gets personal—they set Campbell House property on fire. Campbell house is in my will. They can fk right off with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    None of it is good. But 200 years of racism and hate crimes makes people a little frustrated.
    You will be happy to know that our mayor is passing out masks for Covid19 protection to the protestors/rioters. Must keep them safe.

The actual motives of looters (not the protestors who are in it for obvious reasons - you could even say breaking windows makes a point, but taking stuff loses the point, as then people start to suspect petty self-interest), I have to figure some of it is economic desperation, as we're in a depression and every other developed country has given people more economic help than this one, gave people UBIs, suspended bills and rents etc.. People are in and are going to continue to be in a world of economic pain because this country has refused to do what every other developed country has and helped people out. And some of it maybe boredom, bars closed, nightclubs closed, schools closed, nothing to amuse the young and the restless.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information