Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I feel guilty but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't know.....
    By "not problematic", in the context "self-deploy to a disaster zone" I was referring to the impact well-meaning disaster tourists can have on impacted area, placing additional burdens on law enforcement, ems, fire, search & rescue, food supplies, housing, and all that good stuff.

It is a practice discouraged by most disaster management professionals.

If Rob wants to peacefully protest locally, he won't be making a bad situation worse in the impacted area.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    By "not problematic", in the context "self-deploy to a disaster zone" I was referring to the impact well-meaning disaster tourists can have on impacted area.
    OK, Gotcha. I like that term "well meaning disaster tourists", I think I'll be using that at some point if you don't mind.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I don't get involved in the policy forum here because every issue seems to end up with the same people on the same sides and nobody ever seems to change their mind.
    I know you've mentioned this before and I respect your take on it but I think it's a losing proposition to expect to change anyone's mind about things they feel strongly about. The best anyone can do is try to provide another viewpoint they may not get elsewhere. And without a variety of differing views, I think we run into what I call the "M*A*S*H*" Syndrome. When that TV show premiered I thought it was a wonderful example of comedy/drama with likeable characters. Eventually though, Hawkeye and BJ took on a lot of the writing/directing of episodes and further served to set the tone for all episodes. That's when it began to suck, so remembering that, some of us might feel the need to keep that from happening here. But that's just my 2¢.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

not to mention spreading covid all over the country

But even if that wasn't the case, I'd tend to see going to protests in states one doesn't even live as real suspicious of being astroturf, unless it's D.C. (well we all live with the Fed gov).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I know you've mentioned this before and I respect your take on it but I think it's a losing proposition to expect to change anyone's mind about things they feel strongly about. The best anyone can do is try to provide another viewpoint they may not get elsewhere. And without a variety of differing views, I think we run into what I call the "M*A*S*H*" Syndrome.
    Oh, I gave up a long time ago on changing minds. The lingering suspicion remains, however, that some participants are doctrinaire enough to not even want to entertain other notions. The other part of not participating there is not wanting to spend much more time on these forums (and others) than I do. Opinion is not enough; it must be buttressed with citations and such, and rounding all that up takes time. My life would be significantly more healthful if I had more hobbies that didn't require sitting in one place for long periods of time.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

One doesn’t need to go away to protest. Plenty of those around the country. And plenty that are getting violent, as well. Two federal law enforcement officers, who are part of the branch that guard federal buildings, were shot yesterday, one killed, while protecting a federal building in Oakland, CA.

Apparently things got dicey in Indianapolis last night, too. I would not have thought Indy. But apparently bad characters all across the country are using the Minneapolis incident to loot and burn.

Yppej
    Protests are one of the few events you can go to these days in most states, so they may draw bored people with little interest in effective change.

Don't forget that some of the bad actors are (paid?) provocateurs. https://www.insider.com/minneapolis-...lla-man-2020-5

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Don't forget that some of the bad actors are (paid?) provocateurs. https://www.insider.com/minneapolis-...lla-man-2020-5
    Yes. If you can’t trust unconfirmed speculation what can you trust?

My favorite example is the Slate article linking the looting of a Target store with their support of outside security cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I immediately thought of the LA riots of 1992. Almost 30 years ago and has anyone learned anything?
    Yes, the burnt out retailers who didn’t return.

Thread Information