Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: I feel guilty but.....

Rioting, stealing and burning hurts the black communities which are often poor badly. I am all for peaceful protests. Glad I no longer live in the Midwest.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Good news! The roofer down the street who has been furloughed told me that he heard charges are coming for the other three sociopathic officers who aided and abbetted the cold blooded murder of George Floyd by standing by and doing nothing. Thank God! And if they are acquitted? I'd say have a plan for fleeing as America is going to burn, baby, burn. I would not be surprised to see Minneapolis to be a solid sheet of flame if any of these officers is not imprisoned. America has had it's fill. Thank God! Rob
    Let's hope. Every police department in the country should be going through their records and preparing to remove problem officers from the force. Anonymous tip lines should be set up so honest police can whistleblow on corrupt cops. IT should run daily reports and anyone turning off their body cam should be suspended without pay first offense, fired second offense. The culture can change but the bad cops will fight it tooth and nail.

Apparently yesterday the DC police boxed in a group of peaceful protestors shortly before the curfew was to start and then attacked them. Fortunately one of the residents of the street generously opened his door and took in literally hundreds of them and let them stay until the curfew lifted this morning and they were able to leave safely. This not too long after police teargassed another group of peaceful protestors outside the white house so that trump could cross the street for an uninvited photo op at a church. It's becoming increasingly difficult to figure out who exactly the thugs are anymore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...mments-wrapper

I've seen calls to defund the police, that seems to be more what is being requested, to the extent anything is, than trying to reform them. But nice we get solutions noone seems to actually be asking for.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Apparently yesterday the DC police boxed in a group of peaceful protestors shortly before the curfew was to start and then attacked them. Fortunately one of the residents of the street generously opened his door and took in literally hundreds of them and let them stay until the curfew lifted this morning and they were able to leave safely. This not too long after police teargassed another group of peaceful protestors outside the white house so that trump could cross the street for an uninvited photo op at a church. It's becoming increasingly difficult to figure out who exactly the thugs are anymore.

There is a big one in the White House. This shows the level.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post

No group of people is going to give up their power, privilege and wealth to others without pressure. Colin Kaepernick tried peaceful protest and there was so much white backlash he lost his job. So the pressure of peaceful protest was insufficient to stop the police killings. I don't think the current level of property damage is sufficient to bring about change either. It's not like anyone is saying let's sit down and negotiate with the protestors. It's more like let them vent, and if they do more than verbally complain then arrest them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Colin Kaepernick tried peaceful protest and there was so much white backlash he lost his job.
    I think he lost his job because he was protesting while representing his employer on the field. Public figures representing an employer should limit their protesting to their own time unless explicitly authorized by the employer.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Alan you are correct. As a state employee I couldn’t do that while on the clock.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think he lost his job because he was protesting while representing his employer on the field. Public figures representing an employer should limit their protesting to their own time unless explicitly authorized by the employer.
    But why did his cause bother his employers? If he was wearing pink breast cancer ribbons or some other cause without getting permission they wouldn't have fired him.They fired him because of white backlash. It was because some white people were so offended by the black call for an end to police brutality that a significant number of them stopped coming to football games or watching them on TV.

There was even one poster here who stopped watching football. I think he left the forums later - William from PA?. I wonder if he's happy now with the results of sweeping the issue under the rug and hoping it would go away.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    How would you feel if your neighborhood was destroyed? I am hand-wringy about property damage. In many cases, these are small owned businesses that people worked HARD to get. Some of the neighborhoods being destroyed will take years to rebuild. I think it is disgusting!
    I would feel sad and angry. But that doesn’t erase our 200 years of institutional racism. We need to own up to that as a nation.

Thread Information