Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thermomix TM6

I'm not a foodie. My first "hope chest" item I got was a cast iron skillet. I was the last on my block to get a microwave (and it was a gift from MIL), and I look at toasters with a skeptical eye, so I'm not sure I'd be into this gadget.

But I will ask my foodie DH what sous vide means. And because he knows food but not French I'll have to make it rhyme with "louse ride." And then I'll get a great explanation.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    But I will ask my foodie DH what sous vide means. And because he knows food but not French I'll have to make it rhyme with "louse ride." And then I'll get a great explanation.
    Ha ha, and if he knows, share it with me please. I'm another non-foodie who hasn't a clue. (I think I looked it up once but have since forgotten)
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Gotta love Google:

What is Sous Vide?
    Sous vide, which means “under vacuum” in French, refers to the process of vacuum-sealing food in a bag, then cooking it to a very precise temperature in a water bath. This technique produces results that are impossible to achieve through any other cooking method.

Makes me think of "boil in bag" rice.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

I've only seen it used on meat. After its bath, it's seared on both sides. It's said to be a superior method for that purpose.

Wow, the price difference, for something I considered buying, as a larger crockpot (I have my grandmothers old one, and sometimes I want to cook larger stuff, but haven't yet).
    This seems to have so many of the same features:
    Emeril Lagasse 8-Quart Pressure Air Fryer Duet

And I can buy it at Sam's club, for $150 or less.

There are several different kinds of these all-in-one appliances now. How are the reviews?

I decided to splurge and get a box of pre-cut parchment paper, which will probably improve my quality of life more :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I decided to splurge and get a box of pre-cut parchment paper, which will probably improve my quality of life more :-)
    Sounds like pizza and cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Sounds like pizza and cookies.
    My pre-cut parchment is perfect for cheesecake...

Thread Information