Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermomix TM6

Thermomix TM6

A foodie friend of mine is trying to convince me I "need" a Thermomix TM6. Which apparently does everything, and makes thousands of dishes using their online database, and essentially serves as your sous chef and kitchen slave.

https://shop.thermomix.com/product/thermomix/

I am quite quite dubious.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    A foodie friend of mine is trying to convince me I "need" a Thermomix TM6. Which apparently does everything, and makes thousands of dishes using their online database, and essentially serves as your sous chef and kitchen slave.

https://shop.thermomix.com/product/thermomix/

I am quite quite dubious.
    Except for the blending/thickening feature, it seems to do what my Instant Pot does. You can get a battery-operated stirrer, if you want that.
    It reminds me of the Bernina that costs thousands of dollars. For what?

It seems like an unholy combination of Vitamix and Instant Pot, with sous vide capabilities thrown in, and a scale.

It is highly Internet-connected to a (subscription) database of recipes, and will walk you through making things.

I suppose if you lived in a small European apartment with a minimal kitchen, it might be Just The Thing.

Personally, I'm always suspicious of things that must be purchased through an "independent consultant" - and deeply suspicious of appliances that are internet connected. And what would I use to churn my ice-cream and knead bread while it's crock-potting my stew, lol? I have a stand mixer, food processor, bread machine, crock-pot, ice cream freezer, blender, and a stove. And when I'm in a mood to really cook, several of them are going to be working at the same time. Yes, not having to store them all would be nice, but again, often two or more are in use at the same time, so I'm not sure this machine would be good for us, even it it didn't cost more than all of my kitchen appliances put together!

Very good point, Early Morning. I usually, if I'm using appliances at all, have several cheerily working away at the same time. This fancy Thermomix thing seems like it would require more clever process planning for multiple dishes.

The newer Instant Pots have sous vide and you can get programmable smart models. Being a simple sort, I don't want--as Iris Lily would say--an appliance that's smarter than I am. So far, so good.

My husband bought the Instapot, therefore, he is required to be the one to use it. I like my stockpot, stove, fry pan, knife and big spoon. So far he has ruined two chicken dishes when he did not program it properly and did not check to see if it was working. He does like the air fryer lid but again he is the one to use it as I use the oven.

PS: I always wondered what the over $10,000 Bernina sewing machine could do that my inherited Singer could not.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Not to mention the hefty price tag. It better not require any human assistance!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post

PS: I always wondered what the over $10,000 Bernina sewing machine could do that my inherited Singer could not.
    I imagine it is well-engineered enough--Bernina is a good brand. But I'm with you--at some point, it's just stitching.

I can't say I've ruined any food in six years of IP-ing, but I did spend the first year essentially boiling everything. I've moved on from there.

Wow! Waayyyy out of my price range on a kitchen appliance!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information