Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Space-X

I suspect sociopaths do far more harm than good, and life in general would be improved greatly for everyone if they could be kept from having power of any sort.
    Trees don't grow on money

It makes me sick........we've ruined this planet, now we're trying to expand. Makes me sick. I don't want to look at the moon and think people are there, doing whatever damage they do. I only want to see stars in the night sky, and not crap from humans.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I suspect that many great achievements involve a sociopath somewhere in the background.
    You may be right, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Well, while a useful side effect, I'm not sure that's the most efficient way to make some of the advances.

I bet Velcro and Tang could have been cheaper to develop if not done by NASA :-)
    I was thinking of loftier inventions than those. But I agree they all could have been developed without the expense of space travel.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    It makes me sick........we've ruined this planet, now we're trying to expand. Makes me sick. I don't want to look at the moon and think people are there, doing whatever damage they do. I only want to see stars in the night sky, and not crap from humans.
    I don’t share the view of humanity as a sort of disease or vermin species. Maybe it’s because I read too much SF in my formative years, but I’m not sickened at all by the thought of people traveling through space. I kind of like the idea.

I suppose it would be fair to say that the satellites that give us things like the internet, modern weather forecasting, and GPS are an offshoot of the space program. I'd guess that at some point, if not now, space debris could become an issue where collisions and interference are an issue. At least Elon is recycling some of the rockets.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think it is a long-term needed expense, and not a waste, statistically, at all.

Every now-and-then, very large rocks strike the Earth, causing incredible damage. Being technologically capable of dealing with such things is essential to the survival of our species.

Kinda like global warming though, it is such a long-term threat that nobody wants to do anything about it now...
    I don't think we need to go up and see it first hand. We have mega-telescopes that could do the trick and we could determine how to handle in the future. Say what you want, it is a waste. We need the money for other things first IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Just look up in the sky, there are lots of planets without human life on them.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Just look up in the sky, there are lots of planets without human life on them.
    I was thinking that--given the incomprehensible vastness of the universe--humans can only muck up an infinitesimal corner of it. And better one of the whirling rocks in our orbit than the earth itself.

Thread Information