Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Space-X

People are so cynical lately ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    People are so cynical lately ...
    I suppose if you’re only capable of drawing bitter lessons from the past and present, you’re pretty much condemned to be prematurely disappointed by the future.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    You’re not alone.
    Nope, not alone at all. I've always gloried in our space escapades. I haven't had Tang in years but I do still appreciate having a ballpoint pen that writes upside down (I understand the Soviets were stuck with pencils).
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I'm indifferent to space travel, but I find Elon Musk repellent, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I love this. Guess I’m in the minority.

It beats spending billions on wars.
    I'd feel better if they spent the money on things that would help people now. We are trillions in debt and money is being wasted on this IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Nope, not alone at all. I've always gloried in our space escapades. I haven't had Tang in years but I do still appreciate having a ballpoint pen that writes upside down (I understand the Soviets were stuck with pencils).

I always thought the Space Pens were pretty cool as a kid and bought a couple from REI not long ago. They are great for writing on slick greeting cards or anything with oily finger prints. I can verify that they also write underwater and you can still get refill ink cartridges. I've given them as gifts. (I actually just used mine today to sign my Donald J. Trump stimulus check). The Soviet solution seemed quite practical.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Great. Just what we need! The damn wall and now this also unneeded expense. What a waste.
    I think it is a long-term needed expense, and not a waste, statistically, at all.

Every now-and-then, very large rocks strike the Earth, causing incredible damage. Being technologically capable of dealing with such things is essential to the survival of our species.

Kinda like global warming though, it is such a long-term threat that nobody wants to do anything about it now...

And space exploration leads to significant advances in various fields, so that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    And space exploration leads to significant advances in various fields, so that's good.
    Well, while a useful side effect, I'm not sure that's the most efficient way to make some of the advances.

I bet Velcro and Tang could have been cheaper to develop if not done by NASA :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm indifferent to space travel, but I find Elon Musk repellent, FWIW.
    I suspect that many great achievements involve a sociopath somewhere in the background.

Thread Information