Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Frugal luxuries

Jane couldn't you achieve the same thing by throwing some tennis balls in the dryer and sitting on top

so it's a sex toy
    Trees don't grow on money

Dh and I were just laughing about this as we were walking the dogs.... We are saving so much money during the pandemic and at the same time have nothing to spend it on. Dh has been comforting himself with root beer floats. I often help because I don't want him to suffer alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Jane couldn't you achieve the same thing by throwing some tennis balls in the dryer and sitting on top
    There's a thought. Getting on top of the dryer might be a challenge...

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    so it's a sex toy
    One can never have too many...

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    One can never have too many...
    OK, so I started reading this thread backwards...

We may be discovering a topic we haven't yet raked over the coals!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I think the luxury we've given ourselves is not thinking about what extra it costs to buy some things.

For example, the soup base I use to make "1 cup of chicken stock" whenever it's specified in a recipe is less expensive at our co-op. But it would require a special trip at a time when I didn't have anything else I needed to buy there. So I bought it at the grocery I've been at most frequently and didn't grimace that much at the higher price. Ditto for vitamins and supplements we've had to buy; just don't look.

I'd guess it amounts to maybe $30-40 extra over the two months? We've saved at least that much on fuel, not going anywhere. So maybe it's not a luxury; it's just moving spending around.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I suppose delivery charges and tips would be luxuries under different circumstances. But I agree--I'm just moving spending around.

Yppej
    Sleeping more, slowing down my pace both at work and home, relaxing more. Frugal because there is no cost involved.

My frugal luxury should arrive sometime in June. I ordered a kalimba off of ebay for about $10. And, yes, that is a splurge right now, but I have some extra paypal money. Decided I wanted to learn a "quiet" instrument.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information