Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Frugal luxuries

This thread is funny!

I don’t know what my frugal luxuries are, I guess they are hunting down T-shirts To wear in gardening or just generally around. Normally I would just go to the thrift store to pick them up at three dollars each but I can’t do that since all the thrift stores are closed. So, since I have time to sit around on the couch and scan eBay, I’m looking for higher quality wear than I usually have.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Yesterday's frugal luxury was setting up a portable hammock on my enclosed porch, opening the windows (it was cool and breezy) and covering myself with a heated throw. I got to watch the clouds go by and listen to the birds while cocooned in warmth.
    That sounds wonderful. I used to have access to a jungle hammock that was delicious during rainstorms.

Ordered from the food coop: for the month of June local farmers are selling their fruits and vegetables that would normally be sold to restaurants in the area. It is like a CSA, they say. I thought this would be a good way to try one. I always wanted to but hesitated for a long duration in case I wouldn't use what was provided. So, $100 for the month of June. Each week's order is supposedly $30 worth of veggies. Pick up will be Friday and they tell you what you will be getting on Wednesday. I like that I will know and can look up ideas for use.

The best frugal luxury listed here so far is the heated blanket in the hammock. Sounds heavenly!!

Went to two garage sales this weekend. Bought a vintage rhinestone Christmas pin for two dollars and found it had a missing stone. At the second sale, found a pin for 1.50 with one missing stone and took another stone out and put it in the Christmas pin with super glue.

christmas tree pin.jpg

Learned a lot about old costume jewelry in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Went to two garage sales this weekend. Bought a vintage rhinestone Christmas pin for two dollars and found it had a missing stone. At the second sale, found a pin for 1.50 with one missing stone and took another stone out and put it in the Christmas pin with super glue.

christmas tree pin.jpg

Learned a lot about old costume jewelry in the process.
    I think it’s funny that those things are popular again. They are not so pretty really but you know that and that’s why they are fun.

Yeah, the whole concept of the Christmas pin has sentimental value, I guess. I actually think this one is pretty, but I get where you are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    My frugal luxury should arrive sometime in June. I ordered a kalimba off of ebay for about $10. And, yes, that is a splurge right now, but I have some extra paypal money. Decided I wanted to learn a "quiet" instrument.

I was so tempted to order one of these (showed up on my FB feed also). Please let us know how you like it!
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I remember a earlier different thread on the forums about sheltering in place and hearing a neighbor trying to learn a new instrument - LOL. I'm hoping this will not bother anyone.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I just got my credit card statement for the month. $1085, including $300 for my splurgy new rug. Before covid my average discretionary spend per month, including food, averaged closer to $2,000/month. Even with the increases in grocery prices I’m definitely not spending nearly as much money as I used to.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This thread is funny!

I don’t know what my frugal luxuries are,
    Yeah, I'm kind of struggling with this, too. DH and DS are splurging a little on more pay-per-view movies since we've been quarantined. I bought a couple of vintage hooks on Etsy for our new enclosed outdoor shower. I've bought a couple "buy one get one free" perennials. I indulge in a bottle of ginger beer once a day.

Well, now that I think about it, I have an LL Bean jacket/sweater that I bought in December that I LOVE. It's perfect. Lightweight but warm, good pockets, a hood, nice color, comfy but doesn't look slouchy. So I bought another--but in Petite. Fits so much better than the regular size. L.L. Bean isn't cheap, but I did get it on sale, so it's kind of a frugal luxury, but it wasn't that frugal.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information