Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Frugal luxuries

lol bean is also nice stuff. Personally I don’t mind spending with them.

Lol. ll bean. Darn autocorrect... although I kinda like the idea of lol bean.

I've never heard of a kalimba. That's really cool!

After having my tiny dog put to sleep, I needed something to keep me busy so I bought a ukulele. It's been fun learning a new instrument without having to read music (played the flute for many years). I haven't had much time to play it the past few weeks and the calluses I've developed are getting soft.

I guess my long-term frugal luxury is my pony. Horsekeeping is expensive, but I save money by having him pasture boarded, so he's outside 24/7. The luxury is the indoor arena at the farm. My next luxury is a new saddle that will fit us both; the frugal person in me is hoping it will be second hand. The luxury in this is having a professional saddle fitter find and fit one for us. It becomes frugal because I won't have to buy several saddles before finding the right one.

Skincare is something I enjoy and I found a cream that is quite expensive (luxury) but is effective and replaces a few other products used regularly (frugal). The free sample I tried gave me pretty impressive results but I'll wait until my other things are used up.

Honestly, my life hasn't changed much during all this lockdown stuff because I've been working the entire time, so no free time to browse online. No temptation.

Time...seriously. I worked throughout this whole lockdown but they did require us to take every other Friday off (trying to save money and a few jobs!!!) Such a luxury to have the gift of time!

Physical luxury item has been some really nice organic oils that I use head to toe. I mix a little bit of this and that and get something wonderful and my skin has been loving it. I also bought some coffee bean and indulged in a coffee press and oh my! It's soooooooo good!

A new dishtowel.

Oh I love new dishtowels. I have way too many.....
    My little luxuries include nice local small batch soaps and lotions. Every time we visit Cape Cod I stop at a lovely herb shop and stock up on my favorite lotion. It lasts ages and does wonders. And I feel like I'm supporting a cause, in addition to buying local (to the Cape anyway - WE live in Ohio!) AND getting a great product. I have quite a bit of soap from a wonderful shop in PA, close to where we often have family reunions. I think of these things as consumable souvenirs!

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    Oh I love new dishtowels. I have way too many.....
    My little luxuries include nice local small batch soaps and lotions. Every time we visit Cape Cod I stop at a lovely herb shop and stock up on my favorite lotion. It lasts ages and does wonders. And I feel like I'm supporting a cause, in addition to buying local (to the Cape anyway - WE live in Ohio!) AND getting a great product. I have quite a bit of soap from a wonderful shop in PA, close to where we often have family reunions. I think of these things as consumable souvenirs!
    Nice! We do that each time we go to Lehmann;s, get something we need anyway and it's a very fun stop!

Mentioned a while back that I had ordered a Kalimba. It never came and I did get a full refund, but I was very disappointed. Well, two weeks ago I ordered another one and it arrived yesterday! Interesting little thing, and wonderfully surprising how much related stuff is out on the internet! I'm limiting myself to playing with it only AFTER I do all my "should/must get done" things on my to-do list. (Granted that was only last night, but it was great fun!)
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Have fun with your kalimba, Happystuff!
    Early: I have a soap fetish; I have quite the stash of lovely soaps. My sister and I made soap a couple of times and we need to do it again. My favorite soaps are Pre de Provence Linden, Grapefruit, and Cucumber.
    Tybee: I have a bit of a dish towel thing going too!

I am dull. My luxury is going to the farmer's market and trying things that I never have before. I don't have a desire for things nowadays???

Hey, Tybee - we love Lehman's. Not so much now that it's a big tourist destination, but enough we still go if we're in the area. Soap, I've never made. Might try it sometime, is it hard or expensive to set up? My grandma used to make lye soap. I got my first pocket knife when I was 5, but wasn't allowed to carve wood, so I carved up the lye soap bars instead. I'd forgotten about that!

frugal-one, I don't think trying new foods is dull at all! I love to try new fruits/veggies. There's a great store in Cincinnati, Jungle Jim's - that has all sorts of foods from all over the place. We used to take the 4-H and scout kids and they would pick new foods and make a dish to share at a meeting. It was great fun!

Thread Information