Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: June Frugals

I have given many items through our local FB gifting group, but today was the first time I got something. A woman was offering up 10 large concrete blocks, and I knew I could use a few of them to solve a problem area where creatures can easily get under my back porch. I usually don't request items because it seems like there are lots of young families in the group who probably need free things more than I do, and I'm more often in the position of needing to get rid of things rather than getting them. These were on offer for over a week and apparently nobody else needed them, so DH and I picked them up this morning. The giver was a young woman who got 4 pairs of pants from me earlier this year, so it's nice to be part of this circle of giving, good for the wallet, the environment and the heart!

I'm sure she appreciated getting them out of her way, rr! and it would be nice to be part of a circle like that. nice job on your mom's faucet! today I got our refund for our homeowner's insurance, and a surprise additional $15 refund on our car insurance, with no explanation other than "credit balance refund". So, hey, we'll take it. We already got a refund on autos for our "reworking" of coverage, plus a $50 per vehicle corona virus credit for not driving much. But they've gotten a lot of our money over the years, and very little paid out, so I figure they are still way ahead!

Nice deal on the insurance, Early! We just got a $40 total CV credit on our auto insurance for both our cars.
    Jeppy: Good point, it was certainly nice to keep a part out of the waste stream.

Yppej
    I got my auto insurance rebate for covid and it was half the typical amount, so I guess I am paying half of what other people are for auto insurance. Keeping my car past the 100,000 mile mark is working out so far.

We didn't get anything back from our car insurance for COVID-19, so I suppose anyone who has is doing okay.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    We didn't get anything back from our car insurance for COVID-19, so I suppose anyone who has is doing okay.
    We did, although I have no idea why or what it has to do with Covid.
    From our house insurance we got a twenty-five dollar gift certificate to a local restaurant. We have to remember to use it as it expires soon.

We got a small one from the car insurance. Tybee, I think the rational on the refunds is that people have not/had not been driving as much and the insurance companies were trying to... hmmm...how to word it "pay it forward"? Whatever - lol.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We got 200 back from geigo over a 6 month period.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    the rational on the refunds is that people have not/had not been driving as much and the insurance companies were trying to... hmmm...how to word it "pay it forward"?
    Yup. Fewer miles driven ==> fewer claims. Though lately, apparently, people have taken to the highways at "mass quantities" of velocity (more than just the PCH, too; this is widespread among several states).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Yup. Fewer miles driven ==> fewer claims. Though lately, apparently, people have taken to the highways at "mass quantities" of velocity (more than just the PCH, too; this is widespread among several states).
    Yes, the roadways are definitely changing again - more and more traffic and, I agree, the speeds seem to have increased!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information