Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: June Frugals

Yppej
    Another store in my area opened and I got the T shirts I need for hot weather and also a few winter bargains - an ugly Christmas sweater for the contest at work, a Polo vest, and a long sleeved T for $3.36. That is even less than Iris Lilies pays for hers, so I felt that I did well

WTG, jeppy! Sounds like you did really well there! I have very little to report on the frugal-front; all of our insurance and our year pre-pay for propane hits in June, and our half-year taxes are due early in July, so this is a high-month spend for us. I did manage a big cut in our insurance bill, and the cost of propane is down a hair, so that has helped!

Yppej
    More businesses are opening Monday in my state but I plan to keep my spending down. For instance, nail salons are reopening but I think I am doing okay with my own pedicures. Maybe it is just a result of my failing eyesight as I get older, who knows? I am glad to have the option to go to a salon, and I am really, really glad for the nail technicians. It is not uncommon to have undocumented workers in this field who were not included in the relief programs of the CARES Act and are desperate to be working again.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    More businesses are opening Monday in my state but I plan to keep my spending down. For instance, nail salons are reopening but I think I am doing okay with my own pedicures. Maybe it is just a result of my failing eyesight as I get older, who knows? I am glad to have the option to go to a salon, and I am really, really glad for the nail technicians. It is not uncommon to have undocumented workers in this field who were not included in the relief programs of the CARES Act and are desperate to be working again.
    And here you were the first person I thought of when I heard the nail salons were re-opening!

DH put two dead air conditioners on the curb, and they were gone in just a few hours courtesy of a scrap metal collector. That saved us the $40. in stickers to have the town's waste disposal contractor pick them up. One of the units has been in the cellar for about 25 years, but DH moves at his own pace . . . I think he also gets some decluttering points for that one. The newer one will need to be replaced, so that's an unplanned expenditure, but it's still nice that were could avoid an additional $40. expense.

Massive kudos on getting the air conditioner out of the basement after 25 years. What a win! We were going to have to put one out after my husband dropped it out the window and it didn't work, and I bought a new one, and then when he looked at it a week later, it turned on again. Mildly annoying and unfrugal but now we have two window airconditioners, which is a good thing.

Yesterday, I put three loads of wash out to dry. Noticed that I'm going to need new clotheslines. As these are at least 30 years old, I guess it's time. Tried to do our taxes on line. I'm not stupid, but filing taxes freaks me out. Gave up and found a local pro that will do them for a very reasonable price. I'll drop them off Monday. I can help our two kids do theirs - straight w-2s, no sweat, so theirs will be free at least! Brought home a large wash tub, free, from my brothers' house, which I will plant in. Bought 5 feeder goldfish for our little pond - 39 cents each (I got the big ones, lol). I enjoy their flashes of gold, and sometimes they make it through the winter, if the raccoons don't eat them first. The cat has already caught one, dratted creature. And speaking of cats, I ordered generic Revolution online for our outside cats - $10 per dose, instead of $17 per dose for the brand name, and no vet bill for worming.

Took a bag to Goodwill and bought two new puzzles; one will go back immediately as the pieces are so tiny. Drat, I was so excited. Got rid of a winter coat, two puzzles, and a leather notebook.

My mother's shower faucet was broken and I was planning to call a plumber for her. I took a closer look and I was able to fix it myself. It was actually incredibly simple.

Yppej
    I love it when something can be fixed RR. It not only saves money but helps the environment vs buying a replacement.

Thanks to covid when I went for a tire rotation they no longer required me to come back for retorquing. This saves gas and time. Normally since my car has over 100,000 miles on it they tell me I need to come back twice, but they are working at half staff and not sweating the small stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    My mother's shower faucet was broken and I was planning to call a plumber for her. I took a closer look and I was able to fix it myself. It was actually incredibly simple.
    Nice!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information