Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: June Frugals

Yppej

June Frugals

My son fixed the bathroom light that fell down and broke with superglue. I was all ready to buy another one. Hopefully this holds. The toilet seat that wouldn't stay in place because all I can find is cheap plastic hardware was superglued down but after several months the glue has worn off, maybe due to moisture from the shower. But at least for now the light is good.

Broke lid of laundry hamper. "Shopped" in the storeroom for another one, lol. Think I can fix the old one, but if not, we're good. We love coffee shops and coffee beverages - so at home we've been drinking lots of cold coffee with flavored foam (half and half with a bit of flavored syrup) on top. A bottle of syrup and a bag of good beans makes a lot of flavored coffee for a lot less than the coffee shop!

I have a no spend goal for June, besides rent, utilities, groceries, and a birthday gift for a friend.

Today I didn’t spend anything but yesterday got gas as I was almost empty. Don’t plan on driving rest of the month

Talked myself out of going to the grocery (which I dislike doing in the best of times). Talked ourselves out of stopping for fast food on our way home from a volunteer work session (just DD and me!) which was frugal - we have food in the house so we can fix dinner ourselves, and put off shopping for a few more days!

Mended some items, which I always count as a frugal lol. We need to have our zero-turn fixed, so DH cleaned it up first - if we don't, there's an additional shop fee - now avoided.

Yppej
    I'm reading that the dictator of my state, while allowing retail to reopen Monday, is banning fitting rooms. Suffice to say I am not enthralled with shopping these days, which should be good for my budget. Today I went to an adjoining state and did manage to get a few items, but could not find summer pajamas and it's getting to steamy season. It was not a pleasant experience. Many stores did not allow you to try on clothes, and popular places like Nike and Levis had huge lines. I did stand in some shorter lines in the beating sun with a mask on sweating up a storm. It would not surprise me if sweat droplets fell off me. It would have been more hygienic to just let people shop like normal. Bathrooms were closed as was the food court.

If ever there were a time for the phrase "first world problems," this is it.

Yppej
    Jane, I can't remember, are you one of the people who said you can't live without central air? Or who is decluttering going through hundreds of garments?

I wear my few clothes until I wear them out and I do by American standards need more for summer since I don't have A/C. By Third World standards no, because there you can go to some jobs barefoot, for men go to buy food with no shirt, if there is no running water have body odor, etc. Here our employment system and culture mandate more clothing. Also we have four seasons where I live so I cannot just wear what I had pre-pandemic. Flannel, wool, etc are not suited to humid weather in the 80's, 90's and sometimes triple digits.

I can definitely live without central air. I haven't had it for years, and it's really unnecessary around here anyway.

I do have a lot of clothes, 95% of them thrifted. But if I wanted pajamas, which only have to be comfortable, not fitted, I would probably just order them from a trusted source.

Huh? We have four seasons too, and no one I know wears their clothes out fast enough to shop for new ones every few months.

Yppej
    I don't have a trusted source because I have never ordered them online. Any sort of button or even certain seams can irritate me when I am trying to sleep, and without trying on pajamas it is hard to tell how deep they are in the crotch/how comfortable they are.

I'm a peasant--I often sleep in extra-long, oversized t-shirts.

If you ever do find decent PJs, stock up. (Don't on-line retailers provide measurements for rise, etc.? They certainly should.)

Thread Information