Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: June Frugals

Yppej
    I was trying to buy online things I had owned and liked but many items were sold out. Others I had had so long the labels faded and I couldn't read them, or they were from when I weighed less and I was unsure of my current size. I did find a bra I liked at Macy's 3 weeks ago as they let me try on clothes and I ordered more of the same online, but I am definitely a bricks and mortar person.

Yesterday a clerk at Ralph Lauren said the fitting rooms are closed but you can try on clothes over your clothes But they are expensive so I did not. I may try that next as stores can open tomorrow in my state but without fitting rooms. If pajamas can fit over a pair of shorts they should be roomy enough. I just hope no one thinks I am trying to steal. Years ago at Filene's Basement there were no fitting rooms and people just stripped down to their underwear to try things on in the aisles, but I don't know if that is allowed anymore.

You could take detailed measurements of your most comfortable clothes, and carry a tape measure with you for times you can't try something on. Trying PJs on over shorts should work well.

I've heard that about Filene's and another discounter.

Yppej
    IL are these closed stores in St. Louis? Would you have more luck in the Hermann area?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    IL are these closed stores in St. Louis? Would you have more luck in the Hermann area?
    There are no vintage clothing stores in Hermann, just general antique stores.

my bathing suit post shouldn’t be in this thread so I will delete it?

Jep: I always found it stressful to not have enough clothes. When I was younger, I struggled to find anything to fit me because I was so small. As time went by, there were more and more options for petites, and I ended up with far too many clothes. In some respects it simplified my life to have plenty of options, so I never had to panic about having something to wear for work. On the other hand, there is definitely another type of issue with too many choices. I think there has to be a good happy medium point in there somewhere. It sounds like you are often shopping under stressful circumstances of dire need. My two cents worth is that you would do well to move a bit in the more rather than less direction. Look for good quality that will last and when you find a style or brand you like, stock up to at least some degree. I often went overboard but it sounds like you probably have the self discipline to avoid doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Jep: I always found it stressful to not have enough clothes. When I was younger, I struggled to find anything to fit me because I was so small. As time went by, there were more and more options for petites, and I ended up with far too many clothes. In some respects it simplified my life to have plenty of options, so I never had to panic about having something to wear for work. On the other hand, there is definitely another type of issue with too many choices. I think there has to be a good happy medium point in there somewhere. It sounds like you are often shopping under stressful circumstances of dire need. My two cents worth is that you would do well to move a bit in the more rather than less direction. Look for good quality that will last and when you find a style or brand you like, stock up to at least some degree. I often went overboard but it sounds like you probably have the self discipline to avoid doing so.
    I second this, and I will add that if I find something that works, I too will get several of it-- I do shop at cheap stores because I wear my clothes out working in the yard, etc. and so if I find a shirt I like at Walmart, I'll get two or three of it and call it a day. Buying great quality is fine for a workplace where you are not being physical, but I definitely wear my clothes out and then have to throw them out.

For nicer clothes that I am just wearing lightly, I buy on ebay, usually used.

Your work situation sounds like it's too physical to buy super nice expensive clothes, as there is nothing worse than having something nice ruined by work.

I was thinking that too. Thanks to years of thrifting, I have enough clothes to last me the rest of my life. I never have to scramble for something to wear, and if I need something like underwear, I'm happy to order on-line.

When Catherine told me about the comfortable pants at Macy’s I bought 4 pairs. I had to order online but I got lucky and they fit. Now between my 2 pair of jeans and 2 dress pants I am good for years. I don’t garden so no need for crappy clothes.

Thanks to years of thrifting, I have enough clothes to last me the rest of my life. I never have to scramble for something to wear, and if I need something like underwear, I'm happy to order on-line.
    This is pretty much my clothes shopping method. If I DO just happen on to something good at a yard sale or thrift, I buy it, and then often release a similar item to the rag-bag or donate it if it's still viable. I also re-make items - pants into shorts or capris, sweatshirts into jackets, which really helped extend my wardrobe. I have several really nice tops and pants that can be mixed and matched all the way up to semi-formal, and plenty of stuff in between. I can't remember the last time I needed to go clothes shopping. Buying multiples of something that you find and like is also a great idea - which sadly seldom works for thrifting/yardsaling, lol.... None of which is helpful for Jeppy NOW, but may help avert this issue in future?

Yppej
    Yes, I will have to plan better. I need to get another winter jacket in case we get a second wave in the fall/winter and everything shuts down. The pocket is ripped in a way I can't mend and the zipper is cheap. Twice I have gotten stuck in it and took a long time to wiggle myself out. It was embarrassing.

Thread Information