Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rehoming Pets

Rehoming Pets

My husband’s ex won’t be going home if she survives the hospital. She has a beautiful young cat and a Brussels griffin dog that’s 7. Between my stepson and myself they both went to good homes. Jack the cat went to his good friends and the dog went to my best friends. We hung out for 4 hours to help Helga adjust. She is the same age and size of their other two dogs. Once Helga settles in she will be put on a diet. Despite never being around kids their 3 grandchildren arrived between the ages of 3-7 and Helga adored them. Of course they are trained how to treat dogs. I thought it would be so hard to find good homes with people we knew. We are so relieved.

Good for them! I hope they continue to adjust well.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Oh thank the gods who look out for pets. I’m so glad you didn’t have to take in this dog. And it’s very hard to find a home for cats. Sometimes things do work out easily.

There was a single man who died suddenly in our neighborhood. He had a Scottie dog who we all knew because he walked her regularly. His family said that many neighbors reached out to offer to take the dog. Most fortunate for her, the next-door neighbors who always babysat her when he was out of town took her in so she barely knew there was a change.

My elderly friends from who I got my first bulldog in 1993 gave up all of their Frenchies at the request of their daughter in 2011. We took in six of the Frenchies and worked to find homes for four of them. But the friends kept their watch dog, a Shepherd type dog. When the man of the household died, I was worried about what would happen to the Shepard dog but there was a close friend who wanted the dog, there was another friend who offered to be back up if that didnt work, and then a son was going to live in the house and he said he would keep the dog if necessary. All of those hands reaching out to make sure there was a soft place to land made me very happy.

The Oregon Humane Society (for one) has a program that takes in and rehomes pets for people who register beforehand.
    Rescue organizations improve their services all the time.

The cat was exceptionally beautiful and loving which helped. Helga is really overweight but playful, sweet and loving. We noticed yesterday her eyes looked funny so she will be going to the vet. She is pad trained but is peeing and pooping everywhere. Thankfully they have wood floors and have trained others. I am sure it’s the stress as when we got 2 middle age show dogs they did the same thing.

Vaguely related, Sort of about rehoming pets: We are getting a new bulldog. I’ll share photos of her when it happens. Right now she’s in a rescue foster home. She was dumped out in traffic up in north St. Louis. A good Samaritan saw the dump, pulled her out of traffic, and took her to County animal control. She has a story but we don’t know what it is but we do not think she was stolen and we think she was spitefully removed from someone’s house because she was very well taken care of.

We can’t have her in our house until our current foster dog moves on to another home because he is dog aggressive.

There’s no way I thought I would be ready for another Bulldog since it’s only been four months since Teddy died, but this dog is very special. She’s tiny.DH and I get giddy over the itty-bitty teeny tiny ones. she’s just 30 pounds.More later on Bitsy.

I L, glad you foster the babies. Personally we are burnt out but in the end Helga will be ours if it doesn’t work out. However, my friends will work with her and still have a dog that peed on their new expensive couch and bed.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    .There’s no way I thought I would be ready for another Bulldog since it’s only been four months since Teddy died, but this dog is very special. She’s tiny.DH and I get giddy over the itty-bitty teeny tiny ones. she’s just 30 pounds.More later on Bitsy.
    I'm sorry to hear about Teddy--wasn't he your favorite? That's the downside of living with companion animals, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about Teddy--wasn't he your favorite? That's the downside of living with companion animals, for sure.
    Teddy was one of the special ones, But I have been preparing for his death for months because he was slowing down and I knew something was going on with likely his heart.

This new one is so very different from him, I think that’s the reason why I am receptive to taking her in. And it’s not like she’s a special-needs dog who we would have a hard time placing, just the opposite. In fact I’m gonna have to make another giant donation to Bulldog Rescue because this little dog is one of the ones that would make us a shit ton of money, making up for the other ones that cause us to lose a shit ton of money on vet bills.

My friend is taking Helga to the vet this morning because one eye is very red and she is itchy. She may just need a bath because with MA being so sick who knows when she was last bathed. She was itching so bad in the middle of the night she kept waking them up. Then they crated her in another room and she barked. She doesn’t know how to walk on a leash and lunges and barks when on one. Ugh!

Thread Information