Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here are features I want in electronics

Here are features I want in electronics

Car electronics

I would like a carefully modulated English accented voice to calmly tell me what is wrong instead of beeping at me and flashing lights. With my new to me car I learned there is a Correct sequence in turning it off, but I didn’t learn the sequence without being beeped at and flashed, so annoying.

I would like touchscreens to actually work when I touch them, not require me to punch punch punch.

I would like Electronic responses to be instantaneous and not take the digital partial second or so that everything seems to take.I remember back in the old days of analog radio when, I turned on the radio knob I immediately got audio noise. With these digital things it takes a moment or two and I’m thinking well is it on? What’s happening?

The damn idiot light. Oh that stupid idiot light. Why is it always on? I want idiot lights that work for a good reason. My new to me car has a wrench symbol that showed up a few months after I bought it. I had DH look at it he’s not concerned. I looked through the manual, had to read the damn manual, and there’s no mention of that wrench signal which seems to be the idiot light. When I googled it yes we find that it is the idiot light indicating time for some sort of service but this is not even mentionEd in the manual. How stupid is that? Is that a mark of Italian design? Do I regret buying
    my fix it-again-Tony car? not really, but this is annoying.

Computers

I would like a master setting that can be permanently installed. It would work this way: whenever I made Setting change, unintentionally, like aN MS
    wORD toolbar disappear or a ribbon disappear or somesuch setting, I could hit the master key and everything with snap back to the original settings that I programmed onto the master key.

Interesting. Here's mine:

Car Electronics:

The fewer, the better. I don't want a computer screen in my car. I'm perfectly happy with the one I use at home when I'm NOT concentrating on driving. I don't want electronics that will end up costing more than the car to repair or replace, or that are easier to hack, etc. I would actually even prefer a manual transmission, but they are hard to find on good used cars. (at least for my last car-hunting experience)

Computers:

I want to be able to FIND the basic settings! I don't want apps to change things "based on my usage". When I want things changed, I want to be able to find the settings easily and change them myself. I also don't want my computer preloaded with a bunch of stuff because the computer manufacturer has a deal or something with other companies. Let me pick what is initially installed or don't install beyond the basics.

Home Appliances:

I don't want my refrigerator to talk to me. I yell at it enough and definitely don't want it answering me. I also don't want it talking to my cell phone. Who knows what will be discussed behind my back!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Interesting. Here's mine:

Car Electronics:

The fewer, the better. I don't want a computer screen in my car. I'm perfectly happy with the one I use at home when I'm NOT concentrating on driving. I don't want electronics that will end up costing more than the car to repair or replace, or that are easier to hack, etc. I would actually even prefer a manual transmission, but they are hard to find on good used cars. (at least for my last car-hunting experience)

Computers:

I want to be able to FIND the basic settings! I don't want apps to change things "based on my usage". When I want things changed, I want to be able to find the settings easily and change them myself. I also don't want my computer preloaded with a bunch of stuff because the computer manufacturer has a deal or something with other companies. Let me pick what is initially installed or don't install beyond the basics.

Home Appliances:

I don't want my refrigerator to talk to me. I yell at it enough and definitely don't want it answering me. I also don't want it talking to my cell phone. Who knows what will be discussed behind my back!
    Oh it’s not that I actually like the computer screen in my car, I would just as soon do without one. But I have to admit the back up camera is nice, until I have to have it fixed.

Wait. Are there refrigerators that talk? I will say that’s another implement that beeps at me and I’m supposed to interpret a different kind of beeps and it seems very stupid.

I agonized back-and-forth between a manual gear and an automatic for my Fiatta car purchase. The thing is that everyone of the Fiattas I saw had automatic, and there weren’t that many used ones out there, so that’s why I ended up with auto trans and now I’m glad because my left leg would be tired with all the manual shifting. However – a true sports car does not have an automatic gearshift. I humbly acknowledge that.

There are thousands of Miatas manufactured every year so it is easy to find a Miata with manual gearshift. Had I been married to the idea of manual, I would’ve ended up with a Miata.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-3-20 at 12:18pm.

My car is disabled because the immobilization feature has been activated. I don't need one, I don't want one, and BTW, I don't want to have to replace the fob batteries either.

When I bought this, I remarked that when something broke, I was just going to buy a new one. I keep seeing ads for no-contact auto-deliveries and I'm sorely tempted. I spent years with a car that broke down every couple of months, and I'm completely over it.

I want to drive my car, I don't want it to drive me. I currently have a manual trans (all I've ever owned) and as few bells and whistles as I could get. I don't want idiot lights, I want gauges (temperature, oil pressure, tach, speedometer, charging system). Of course I don't have most of those, I have idiot lights. I don't want my car to talk to me, ping at me, or buzz at me. I do enjoy the lock/unlock on the key fob, it's nice that I can give the fob to DH or DD if we're out and about, and they can return themselves or stuff to the car and get in and out, they don't need to find me for the key. I also like the electric windows, but wish there was a hand crank "emergency" option, at least on the driver's window, for when the window motor dies, or when the car and key are separated!!

Jane, What is an immobilization feature?

More properly called "the Immobilizer," it's an anti-theft device that disables the car. There may be a work-around. I'm Googling. Or I'm getting a Subaru...

Jane, before you get a Subaru (love mine, but it's a 2017) you might do a really thorough test drive in a busy area. Recently I had mine in for some recall work and was given a brand new 2020 lender. I hated it!!! Too many electronic-brainy things. For instance, I was driving behind someone who was turning into the Winco side entrance. When they slowed down to turn, my rental locked up its brakes so as to prevent a collision, I suppose. But there was in no way any possibility of that; I was well behind him, and had slowed appropriately. Scared the crap out of me. So if you even are following someone who is coming to a stop at a light or sign, if you are what the car thinks is too close, the brakes lock up. I'm not a tailgater by any means.

There were other annoyances that distracted me--like pedestrian warnings and lane departure--that, after a while you could probably come to ignore, but what's the point then?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I don’t think I would like a new car from what everyone is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Jane, before you get a Subaru (love mine, but it's a 2017) you might do a really thorough test drive in a busy area. Recently I had mine in for some recall work and was given a brand new 2020 lender. I hated it!!! Too many electronic-brainy things. For instance, I was driving behind someone who was turning into the Winco side entrance. When they slowed down to turn, my rental locked up its brakes so as to prevent a collision, I suppose. But there was in no way any possibility of that; I was well behind him, and had slowed appropriately. Scared the crap out of me. So if you even are following someone who is coming to a stop at a light or sign, if you are what the car thinks is too close, the brakes lock up. I'm not a tailgater by any means.

There were other annoyances that distracted me--like pedestrian warnings and lane departure--that, after a while you could probably come to ignore, but what's the point then?
    These features all sound depressing to the point of being hideous.

Thread Information