Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need non-tech solution for tech problem

Need non-tech solution for tech problem

OK you techies, I need help. My iPads do not work outside in hot weather when I’m weeding gardens. They shut themselves off because they’re too hot.

This is such a P.iTA because I just discovered last week that Wi-Fi reaches out into our yard pretty far. But now I can’t even play pre-loaded stuff let alone stuff coming in through Wi-Fi.

Ideas for this problem?

Shade?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Shade?
    I put it in the shade of a bucket and that did not seem to help.

Today is a cool day in the low 80s so it’s doing fine. But earlier in the week it was in the low 90s and it bugged out on me.

I guess I could bring an umbrella from home and see if making a little umbrella shade tent would help it but I don’t think it would. And now I wonderIf a phone would do the same thing if it was plastered to my body. I have not tried to use my iPhone as a pod cast broadcaster because I just didn’t wanna deal with it because I don’t usually have pockets and I’d have to find a pouch to carry it in. while it’s doable I just would prefer not to have a device strapped to me.

ice pack under towel? can you freeze an i-Pad?

Maybe in an insulated lunch box?

I like Alan's idea. Apparently the iPad is getting enough sun from somewhere that it's flaking out.

You could try putting the iPad into Airplane Mode on the hot days. That will switch off the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radios (and the cellular radio if your iPad has that). All those radios produce heat as they work, which only adds to the problm. I realize you want the Wi-Fi to work, but if you'll settle for what's already on the iPad, try Airplane Mode during the hot days and see if it makes a difference.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    Instead of listening to music, you could sing. Your neighbors might like it and maybe even join in.

Non tech solution, a reference book.

Would a Bluetooth speaker work? You could put the ipad somewhere cool and shady and just keep the speaker nearby. I have a Sony one about the size of a small can of soda; the sound is really good:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SRS-XB12...a-736580650947

It's also waterproof and covered in rubber so if you bounce it around it's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Shade?
    Haha! Not in ILs yard. Karma from the Tree Gods! .

I like the small cooler idea--you probably wouldn't need ice--wouldn't the insulation alone keep it cool enough?
    I also like the Bluetooth idea, as long as the iPad isn't too far away from IL.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information