Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Defunding the police.....

There are good reasons for not hiking alone, aside from the occasional murder. Injury or sudden illness on the trail, among others. Then there are a not-insignificant number of people who just disappear from parks and trails every year (which is a fascination of mine).

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    As bae points out, how safe we claim to feel and the actual risk we assume can be very different things.

We can deplore Florida beach goers or Lansing protestors as reckless Typhoid Marys, but remain silent about the Minnesota marchers and/or rioters.

Cops quelling riots is brutal escalation. In fact, we are invited to take seriously the idea we can dispense with the police entirely. Using federal troops like Los Angeles in 1992 or Little Rock in 1957 is considered a fascist coup, although the people being dispossessed might disagree. Look at the response to Tom Cotton’s recent NYT lapse into diversity of opinion on the topic, and the scramble to “further fact-check” it away.

It’s more about feelings and supporting narratives at this point. We’re getting the stories about shark attacks and not the bee stings.
    Both bolded are inaccurate. Have you not been watching the news where it SHOWS pictures of how the police are handling things? Also, there is much talk about the people risking their lives by going out to protest. You just don't want to hear it. I know you were in law enforcement, as was I, albeit different capacities. I have been social distancing and am staying home even more since all the marches and protests. However, come November, I will vote even if there are hordes of people near me. This nonsense has to stop.

Gonna say it: I wish there was a street cop on this forum.
    https://komonews.com/news/local/portland-police-share-photo-of-items-thrown-at-officers-during-protests

Please read the entire story.

Coming from a cop's kid.
    Last edited by KayLR; 6-8-20 at 3:14pm. Reason: additional thought
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

To the people holding up unarmed police in England as a model, take a look at this story out of England where protestors threw a motorized bike at horse, causing it to bolt and throw rider, who was seriously injured. Another story on this said horse was injured to, as it ran into a pole.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-protest.html

I think this is really sh@@ty.

Thread Information