Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Fostering Pets

3 months after my heart dog died I got a puppy as I was tired of old dogs. He ended up being my heart dog. You just never know.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I’m not a puppy mom. I like adult dogs.

This one, Bitsy, is The Generic Puppy. I don’t know any way other than to say It this way: I don’t know who she is.

I wish I could catch a glimpse of her three years down the road To see what she looks like, to see who she’s developed into. Right now she’s a happy, confident puppy. Why would anybody want anything more than this?

That is my huge dilemma.

I do not intellectually expect her to be my heart dog. My heart dog died in January and I know another one will not come along for years. But I would like a companion dog to move in with us, and for us to know who they are. Any number of dogs over the years, and we’ve had many, I would like to have as a companion dog.

DH does not want to give her up.
    How bout 2 dogs? Bitsy for DH and an older one for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    How bout 2 dogs? Bitsy for DH and an older one for you?
    yeah, that’s what I told DH last night. I still may need a big,, grownup dog. Would have to be a boy since we in rec ue do not placing bitches together under the same roof.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    yeah, thatÂ’s what I told DH last night. I still may need a big,, grownup dog. Would have to be a boy since we in rec ue do not placing bitches together under the same roof.
    There you have it. Problem solved.

She’s a cutie)

Awwwww, such good news about Lucy!

Geila

Disposable Diapers

Ok, so last night we had some loud fireworks just after we went to bed. Lucy was in her crate next to my bed and they scared her. She barked a bit but then quieted and I heard her fussing with her blankets before she settled down. I didn't think anything of it because she likes to burrow and sometimes it takes her a while before she decides it's perfect. Then she slept all through the night.

This morning I found that she pooped in her bed and she covered the poop with her second blanket so that she could sleep on clean bedding. It was a lot of poop and liquid too, so I'm guessing the fright caused a bout of diarrhea because of her age. She hasn't had any loose bowels before, in fact she usually strains to go. And I took her out twice before bed. She hasn't had any accidents overnight before.

Since the fireworks are going to continue and get worse, and since she's only going to get older, I want to buy her diapers for sleeping. I've never needed diapers before though. What brands do you guys recommend?

Have no experience with diapers, sorry.

Geila
    Thanks, IL. That's actually good news, means they're not needed all that often.

Just saw that diapers don't work that well on poop. They're really more for pee. Makes sense, with the tail being right there. I guess I'll just use washables in her crate. I'm also going to make some modifications to her crate to see if that helps. Worst case scenario, I can give her a tiny bit of anxiety med until the fireworks are over. Vet said that as her vision diminishes her sense of hearing and smell become amplified.

Well, things got more complicated with Bitsy. We are not keeping her.

She came into rescue with GI tract problems, diagnosed with xrays as cat litter in her colon. She has had diarrhea off and of while in her foster home. The first 4 days she was here, her stools were soft but normal for her.

BUT—she eats EVERTHING while out in our yard: all plants. Fruits on the ground. Sticks. And at the moment we have apricots and apples, will have apples into the fall on the ground. Eating all of these things has caused her diarrhea to return.

I will not police her eating. I want a dog who I can leave out in our fenced yard, unsupervised. I will not take her out on a leash multiple times a day for years uNtil she grows out of this.

It is not the plants I mind being chewed on because that is just normal dog destruction and I am used to having some plants destroyed by dogs every year, just part of the dog ownership game. It is my own time and attention that will be required to potty her 5-6 times a day that I mind, and then, for her, if she manages to gulp down two apples That could could throw her system off whack again.

This whole thing is funny/ironic because this is the perfect (happy, confident, healthy, typey) puppy (what everyone wants) in the size we have specified we like (small.) And this is not our dog! Doh!

so, we are keeping her for the week to settle down her tummy. Will be leash pottying her for 2 days, and then we will go to
    hermann where her potty yard is tiny and has nothing to chew on other than grass. I want to get her stomach settled before we hand her off to someone else.

Thread Information