Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Fostering Pets

If you move and are worried about a bind dog adapting, they have these special devices now: https://www.amazon.com/Haploon-Harne.../dp/B07VVLL4V5

Most of my little dogs lived to 15. One was between 18-20. My favorite of course died at 12. A friend of mine adopted a old blind basset hound and it took him only a couple days to figure out the house, yard and doggie door.

The hard part for me is making the decision to commit to her care long term. On the one hand, I really, really like her and she is so happy and adapting so well here. On the other, it's a big commitment. My other pets are super easy, now that my boxer is on her meds. And I feel like I would be starting over again. Kinda like having a new kid in middle age. I feel selfish about wanting to preserve my easy lifestyle.

I'm assuming she might live to 20, but if I take TT's average and look at it as a 3 year commitment, that feels a lot more doable.

One of my rescues died at 9. So the average goes down more)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    One of my rescues died at 9. So the average goes down more)
    Now I feel like I'm rooting for an early demise. Which is not the case. . More good news, Lucy does not need heart medication at this time. I have a call scheduled tonight with the rescue org to talk about the medical issues and her adoption possibilities.

My youngest dog to die of natural causes was seven. Too soon, sweetie.

My youngest died at 3 -5 weeks after getting her. Thank goodness we drove hours to Davis California and her brain tissue is part of a national study to help other Maltese. If it wasn’t for the breeder she would have died here and we never would have known why. Because of this all her relatives are no longer getting vaccinated. Also every dog in the line was sterilized.

Well friends, here’s a turn of events I did not anticipate: I am questioning if our new dog is really the right fit for us.

There. i ‘ve said it to the world. I talked to DH about her yesterday. I have not talked to our Head if Rescue yet about my doubts.

Keep in mind that our little dog has MANY choices for a home, there is no lack of people to take her.

i have some serious soul searching to do.

IL - what's causing your doubts?

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    IL - what's causing your doubts?
    I’m not a puppy mom. I like adult dogs.

This one, Bitsy, is The Generic Puppy. I don’t know any way other than to say It this way: I don’t know who she is.

I wish I could catch a glimpse of her three years down the road To see what she looks like, to see who she’s developed into. Right now she’s a happy, confident puppy. Why would anybody want anything more than this?

That is my huge dilemma.

I do not intellectually expect her to be my heart dog. My heart dog died in January and I know another one will not come along for years. But I would like a companion dog to move in with us, and for us to know who they are. Any number of dogs over the years, and we’ve had many, I would like to have as a companion dog.

DH does not want to give her up.

Thread Information