Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: June Purge

Yppej
    A broken winter jacket.

I’m having such a hard time with a particular object. It stops me in my tracks in life when I run into something like this, One that I cannot make a decision on. It is vintage, could be expensive I don’t really know, it’s sentimental, it’s a beautiful thing that I will not move to Hermann and I don’t now use. UGG.

Really, just when I think that I have a good handle on the physical objects in my life and I know what to do with them and I can let the sentimental stuff go or at least pack it up tightly in a way that it takes up a tiny bit of space – I run into this.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I’m having such a hard time with a particular object. It stops me in my tracks in life when I run into something like this, One that I cannot make a decision on. It is vintage, could be expensive I don’t really know, it’s sentimental, it’s a beautiful thing that I will not move to Hermann and I don’t now use. UGG.

Really, just when I think that I have a good handle on the physical objects in my life and I know what to do with them and I can let the sentimental stuff go or at least pack it up tightly in a way that it takes up a tiny bit of space – I run into this.
    Are you going to leave us forever wondering?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Are you going to leave us forever wondering?
    Oh I didn’t know if anyone actually cared. OK here it is, a vintage Chinese robe, all silk. I don’t hang it up and display it because— Oh I don’t know some reasons, too much trouble not really my decor especially current Decour, pet odors and pet hairs will cling to it and it’s not washable, etc. But I do love it because I love eastern textiles.

My old boyfriend bought it for me 30+ years ago, so it brings back memories of a magical surprise and a magical Santa Fe trip. Really, tho, I can keep those memories with a photograph.

I have a plan for offloading stuff that has some obvious value, and in the next year I want to sell it carefully while keeping a tally, and donate those proceeds to our Park Conservancy. I don’t know if I should go to a vintage shop of just regular clothes and they won’t really pay me anything for it, or I should try harder to find a vendor that seeks antique Chinese robes. I poked around on eBay to find out who is selling vintage Chinese robes. I don’t know how to contact those shops outside of eBay.

The antique sales website “1st Dibs” has a similar robe listed for $1300, but my experience with 1st Dibs it is that their prices are hugely inflated, at least on the Chinese pottery I have seen there.

My robe

CB57E78E-810E-4857-B1C2-B01262DF74CD.jpg
    39B9A939-63D9-475D-81FF-01F427C76056.jpg

The similar robe listed on 1st Dibs

D13CEB5A-53F2-41C2-A44F-89ED61A1E311.jpgD13CEB5A-53F2-41C2-A44F-89ED61A1E311.jpg

Wow, that is a tough call. Very pretty though!

Very pretty! I can see why it is a tough call.

Not sure if tried this or not, but if you can find the shop name on ebay, you can always then try googling it outside of ebay.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

As part of the "old" shed clean-out, I had found several pieces of sports equipment that actually belonged to the local recreation organization. Had a hard time finding a contact to return the stuff to, so went to one of the fields and dropped it all off into the equipment box! Easy-peasy! 4 items gone!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Beautiful robe!

IL, not sure if it would help, but I once found something on a men's coat I had bought for the wool and I saw it had a lapel button. I researched it and found someone who was an expert on lapel buttons and I emailed him and sent him a picture and he bought it for 15 dollars. (Not bad considering coat cost six!)

Maybe you could contact someone who sells them.

Sold a spare scuba hood and spare dive computer. $200 made.

Thread Information