Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: time for a focus on spirituality?

I have made a point of sitting outside very early for my meditation and gratitude session each morning before my morning prayers. Watching the sun come up and outline the trees and flowers with light, hearing the chirps of the birds as they wake up, feeling the freshness of a new day has been very helpful in dealing with today's challenges.
    The most spiritual practice has been to restrict watching the news. I get the basics of local, national and international news, give the situations thoughtful prayerful support and then let it go, for the most part.

Neat thread, Happy stuff!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Wonderful thread, Happystuff. I enjoy seeing so many different ways to connect with the world, inner self and peace. I write a joy every day-it is inspiring to read all I've noticed that I so easily forget. I do Deepak Chopra meditations, some hypnosis tapes, Daily Bread readings and an old Lenten meditations I picked up on a church tour many years ago by Henri J.M. Nouwen, do one page of Julie Cameron's 3 page Morning Pages, a few notes in the garden journal as I sit on the porch and watch the hummingbirds, butterflies, the sky and the yard. Being retired I had already been doing most of the above, but now I take more time, try to limit the news of the world.

I agree with you both on limiting the news. I'm also trying to extremely limit my forays into the political threads on these forums.

Starting this thread back in June - it seems so long ago. I am still doing daily morning prayers with the temple online, although it is now only M-F. It's good practice/discipline for me to do them on my own over the weekends - lol. I am also trying to memorize more prayers. There are some that, if I knew them from memory, would actually be very helpful at specific times. I'm also continuing my daily practice of greeting people I pass with waves, hellos, good morning, etc. - no exceptions.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JakeSilva231 View Post
    Personally helps me focus on the spiritual daily reading of the Bible. Helps me always understand what really matters in life.
    The bible?

Srlsly now, dude you are trollin’ us.

Somehow I missed this thread when it began. I've got more of a spiritual style similar to Razz's. But I have a question for all of you.

IF you share an abode with another person, do you find it more challenging to practice your spiritual ritual/discipline? I keep wondering about those of you who are able to keep these practices, whether you are single or not.

(Trying not to say) my DH is very disruptive. I guess I could carve out some time in the middle of my day when he's not around, but then I'm at work.

I really feel like this would benefit me a great deal right now. But it seems too hard to get it established. I have a number of readings and meditations all ready.

Usually in the mornings I listen to The Moth or some other podcast, but this morning everything was a D-R-A-G. I needed something uplifting. Do you have anything you listen to in the morning which is positive, not heavy or newsy?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post

IF you share an abode with another person, do you find it more challenging to practice your spiritual ritual/discipline? I keep wondering about those of you who are able to keep these practices, whether you are single or not.
    For me, this is a challenge. Especially when my 35 y.o. son comes up on his days off. Then I have no room to escape to, except the mudroom. Because I'm doing the self-mastery program I mentioned, which really has beat it into me the importance of instilling good habits, I really have become desperate to not let anything get in the way of my morning meditation.

At first I was afraid to tell my husband I was meditating, for fear he would make fun of me. Then I said to myself, if I'm going to commit to this practice, I have to tell him. So now, I just say something like "I'm going to shut the door now because I'm going to meditate." And he hasn't said a word.

And then I had to find alternate places to sit. I use a candle as a meditation "prop" so I had to find 3 different spots for my makeshift "altar" so I could be flexible in case both DH and DS were still sleeping.

So far so good. I have missed VERY few days since February. And now it's a non-negotiable in my day.

As far as podcasts.. I don't listen to anything at all. I do pick up a favorite book by a spiritual author and try to snatch a paragraph or quote to meditate on. And Richard Rohr has daily email meditations that are pure gold.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We have people with different religious practices in the household. When I am doing my daily prayer sessions or have my skype classes, dh is aware and waits until it is over to interact. The same with his Sunday online church service. Nothing has ever come up to warrant an interruption.

Lately, my little motivations just come in the form of prayers or mantras - if I remember them, lol. Just little things to remind me of the kind of person I want to be, to be aware and responsible for what I say and do, etc.

One morning prayer I try to say is, "I thank you for another day. I ask that you give me the strength to walk worthily this day so that when I lie down at night I will not be ashamed." (from The Wind Is My Mother by Bear Heart)
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    One morning prayer I try to say is, "I thank you for another day. I ask that you give me the strength to walk worthily this day so that when I lie down at night I will not be ashamed." (from The Wind Is My Mother by Bear Heart)
    That's beautiful, happystuff!

My closing morning prayer is somewhat similar--a verse from Thich Nhat Hanh:

Waking up this morning I smile
    24 brand new hours are before me!
    I vow to live fully in each moment
    And view all beings with the eyes of compassion.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My closing morning prayer is somewhat similar--a verse from Thich Nhat Hanh:

Waking up this morning I smile
    24 brand new hours are before me!
    I vow to live fully in each moment
    And view all beings with the eyes of compassion.
    Oh, I really like that! I'm definitely going to add it to my repertoire.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Lately, my little motivations just come in the form of prayers or mantras - if I remember them, lol. Just little things to remind me of the kind of person I want to be, to be aware and responsible for what I say and do, etc.

Love that....thank you
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information