Page 148 of 236 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158198 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 2353

Thread: What's for dinner?

At our house, fried chicken was a special event and was not weekly. That might have as much to do with the trouble it took and mess to cook it as how much it cost.

Fish and chips? Well we had fish sticks. That was what we were allowed with fish and the pre-mentioned salmon patties. All perfectly awful.

I see small children these days seemingly endlessly eating little chicken nuggets and I wonder if they will grow up with any palette at all.

I remember the first time I had fried rice from a food booth at a international fair type place. It was a revelation. It was probably the onion in the garlic that got to me and I’ve been a huge fan ever since. I certainly can’t blame my mother for not having food in her repertoire that vaguely resembles Third World, but did everything have to be so bland?

Oh wait, I do remember occasional Saturday night spaghetti nights where she used hot peppers in the sauce and that was sublime!
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-15-22 at 7:00pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Oh wait, I do remember occasional Saturday night spaghetti nice where she used hot peppers in the sauce and that was sublime!
    Mother made spaghetti occasionally, too--she got the recipe from our neighbor at the beach (Thank you Mrs. Barr!) Onions, garlic, green peppers, garlic bread...Like you said, sublime. I've been wary of bland food ever since.

My mother worked full time while I was growing up so there were quick but odd meals influenced by her Depression era upbringing. Pinto or lima beans on white bread with ketchup. Chipped beef from a jar on toast. A bowl of hot white rice with butter, sugar and milk. In the 60s-70s lots of Friday fish sticks with mac n' cheese.

Yppej
    Rice with soy sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    My mother worked full time while I was growing up so there were quick but odd meals influenced by her Depression era upbringing. Pinto or lima beans on white bread with ketchup. Chipped beef from a jar on toast. A bowl of hot white rice with butter, sugar and milk. In the 60s-70s lots of Friday fish sticks with mac n' cheese.
    OMG! My mom used to make chipped beef on toast! The jar of beef was torn into pieces, added to a homemade white sauce and served over toast. I actually loved it! Made it for my kids and they liked it as well. I haven't thought of that in decades! Thanks for the memory reminder. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I hated the creamed chipped beef on toast, but I loved those little jars the beef came in as wildflower vases.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I hated the creamed chipped beef on toast, but I loved those little jars the beef came in as wildflower vases.
    If memory serves, mom used them as orange juice glasses. Too funny!

Edited to add: It was in a military mess hall that I first saw creamed beef on toast made with actual ground beef (at least, that is what I think it was - lol). It looked so different from mom's that I never tried it. LOL
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Dinner update: Tonight will actually be spaghetti squash casserole.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    It was in a military mess hall that I first saw creamed beef on toast made with actual ground beef (at least, that is what I think it was - lol). It looked so different from mom's that I never tried it. LOL
    Haven't thought about that in a while but it was a breakfast staple when I routinely ate in mess halls. I really can't say whether they used ground beef in it, my gut says no but I may be wrong.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Haven't thought about that in a while but it was a breakfast staple when I routinely ate in mess halls. I really can't say whether they used ground beef in it, my gut says no but I may be wrong.
    I think they actually may have had it available at every meal. When I pulled mess duty, they actually put me on the door - never back in the kitchen or on the line. Yes, I was VERY lucky! But I did look it all over. Interesting choices. LOL.

Thread Information