Page 141 of 236 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 2352

Thread: What's for dinner?

Fennel haddock chowder and homemade popovers! Just for the record, I fell in love with DH long before I knew he could make popovers, but what a bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The Pocket app suggested a recipe for chicken tikka masala tonight for dinner. SO doesn't like Indian food particularly but Wednesday is bowling night for him so I made it. Yum!
    Attachment 4090
    That looks very good, jp1!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Fennel haddock chowder and homemade popovers! Just for the record, I fell in love with DH long before I knew he could make popovers, but what a bonus!
    Too cute. LOL
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

The Pocket app suggested a recipe for chicken tikka masala tonight for dinner. SO doesn't like Indian food particularly but Wednesday is bowling night for him so I made it. Yum!
    Attachment 4090
    Several months ago I picked up a jar of Tikka Masala sauce at Aldi's and we tried it for the first time, I added chicken, peppers and onions and served it over rice. It was such a hit that we've had it at least once a week since then, we actually had it again last night.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Several months ago I picked up a jar of Tikka Masala sauce at Aldi's and we tried it for the first time, I added chicken, peppers and onions and served it over rice. It was such a hit that we've had it at least once a week since then, we actually had it again last night.
    Your comment made me look up the connection between Aldi's and TJ's since I remembered reading somewhere that they are connected. And they are. Sort of. Aldi's in Germany is two companies because the brothers running the company had a disagreement and split the company. As I understand it Aldi South owns TJ's in Europe and Aldi North acquired all US TJ's in the late 70's. (US TJ's started as a convenience store chain back in the 50's. I have no idea when Europe TJ's started to exist.) Aldi South also owns all Aldi locations in the US. So there is a convoluted connection.

I looked up the corporate history because TJ's always seems to source really good quality products for stuff like tikka masala sauce so I was curious if Aldi's would just have the same sauce, perhaps under a different name or whatever. (I've never lived near an Aldi's so I have no idea what type of products they sell.) Since yours was a hit I assume that at least in this case they also have found a good quality product.

Random aside, since we live near wine country I went to check out the Charles Shaw winery one day not too long after we moved to California in 2009. They don't have a tasting room, of course. And actually the winery was in an industrial area of Napa County. Not surprising since they don't actually grow grapes, they just have a factory that ferments and bottles wine made from grapes grown by others.

I looked up the corporate history because TJ's always seems to source really good quality products for stuff like tikka masala sauce so I was curious if Aldi's would just have the same sauce, perhaps under a different name or whatever.
    The brand name is Cook House but I'm assuming it's made
    for Aldi because there's a graphic on the back touting the "Aldi Twice As Nice Guarantee". They have a few other sauces as well although I haven't tried the Butter Chicken one yet.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks for the pics, Alan. I'll have to look for these at my Aldi's.

Dinner tonight was a turkey leg from my grocery store free turkey and baked sweet potatoes. Will be splitting it up into meals for the freezer, making gravy, cooking bones and making both broth and soup. It'll keep me busy for the next couple days. LOL.

I made this recipe for DH and he LOVED IT!!! And he "doesn't like" Indian food. If I can make it, anyone can make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMfUsS9zeuw

But I did hedge my bets by buying Patak's Original Tikka Masala sauce. Haven't tried it yet, but it's good to have in pantry when you're 300 miles from REAL Indian food.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My go-to Indian dish is a curry. I buy curry paste in the tiny jars or cans, it really is a paste. I slightly prefer green curry, but red or yellow is fine.

I put chicken breasts and big chunks of onions (always the onions!) into the slow cooker and add a can of coconut milk and the curry. After chicken is cooked well, I add all vegetables but especially carrots and peas.sometimes chunked potatoes, zucchini, peppers. Then, add a can of chunked pineapple and juice.

As for TJ and its jarred products: years ago there were a couple of products I because pretty dependent on. We have to drive out into the county to get to an TJ. The products would go off the shelves seemingly for months, then came back on.
    I got tired of that schtick and stopped going. TJ’s pretty much irritates me any more, the chipper checkout people who are instructed to chat me up. Ugh. And the excessive packaging. Finally, a TJ’s chocolate was the worst chocolate I have every had, and that in lies the waxy tasteless American Hersey product.

jp that is very interesting about your visit to Charles Shaw bottling. My local winery, while growing its own grapes,also buys grapes from nearby growers. It is my dream to donate a handful of our grapes to them so that I could hold up a glass and say “here are my grapes!” Haha.

The red/yellow/green/coconut milk Thai curry? My favorite is green, with green beans and chicken

Oddly, I found my favorite chocolate--Guaranda--at TJ's, but they didn't have it long. I don't like shopping there because it's invariably too crowded--especially at the cheese aisle. For some reason, it's always full of parents with children underfoot when I go there. I do like their cheeses and nuts.

Thread Information