Page 43 of 236 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: What's for dinner?

Yppej
    Reese's peanut butter cups, because I am on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Reese's peanut butter cups, because I am on vacation.
    lol

Turkey soup from the back of the freezer. On a mission to clear freezer space so DH can make a big pot of spaghetti sauce. It's also cool enough to eat hot food in a bowl!

Dominos tonight. There pasta meals and medium pizzas, sandwiches are 5.99 so everyone can get what they want.

Boca burgers.

Yppej
    Roasted red pepper quinoa.

Tonight: pork chops with faux refried beans (eggplant instead of beans; amazingly passable imitation) and leftover steamed zucchini.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve, how do you make refried beans out of eggplant? That sounds intriguing.

Teriyaki chicken, steamed cauliflower, and rice.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Steve, how do you make refried beans out of eggplant? That sounds intriguing.
    That's what I thought when I saw the recipe:

HEALTHIFIED” RE-FRIED “BEANS” from mariamindbodyhealth.com

1 eggplant (about 4 cups, peeled and cubed) or zucchini
    4 slices bacon
    1 c chopped yellow onion <== I used about 1/2-2/3 c onion; a full cup seemed like too much
    1 T minced garlic
    1 T minced seeded jalapeño
    1 T chili powder
    1 t ground cumin
    1/2 t sea salt
    Pinch cayenne
    1/2 t oregano
    liquid smoke (to taste)
    1/2 c grated queso blanco or cheddar cheese (optional)
    1/4 c minced fresh cilantro, garnish (optional)

Peel and cube the eggplant. Place cubes and 4 slices of uncooked bacon pieces in a pan [don't use really lean bacon; you need some fat to render out of it]. Stir fry until bacon is fried and eggplant is very very soft (about 10 minutes). Reserve bacon fat. Vegetarian Option: Peel and slice the eggplant, place in tinfoil and smoke in a wood smoker for 2 hours. This gives the eggplant a natural bacon flavor.

Place the eggplant (and bacon) in a food processor and puree until smooth. In a large, heavy skillet, heat the bacon fat over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, jalapeño, chili powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 45 seconds to 1 minute. Add the eggplant puree and any cooking liquid from the pot, and the oregano, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring with a heavy wooden spoon, until the mixture forms a thick paste, 5 to 10 minutes, adding water 1 tablespoon at a time to keep from getting dry. [I stirred in a few drops of liquid smoke at this point to enhance the flavor.] Sprinkle with the cheese and cilantro, and serve. Makes 8 servings.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
    Traditional Re-fried Beans = 183 calories, 6.6g fat, 7g protein, 24g carbs, 6g fiber (18 effective carbs)
    “Healthified” Re-fried “Beans” = 93 calories, 5.6g fat, 5.7g protein, 5.8g carbs, 2.6g fiber (3.2 effective carbs)

DW came home just as the dish was finished cooking. I gave her a spoonful to try without telling her what it was. "Beans?" she guessed. It passed the test for me, too. This will be in my rotation when I can find good eggplant.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

My son cooked and invited his brother and his wife. He made us marinated chicken and steak, baked potatoes, watermelon, brownies and ice cream. Our air was good so spent entire day outside.

Thread Information