Page 113 of 234 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 2340

Thread: What's for dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Mmmm... I'm so jealous!!! Did you fry the clams yourself? If so, I'm assuming they were fried belly clams? I LOVE those, but they are hard to find, and when you do get them, often they're too breaded. How do you make yours?
    Catherine: We got whole belly "fryer" clams from the fish market. DH says he dipped them in milk, then dredged them in flour. He then fried them in vegetable oil in a frying pan. He said the one annoyance was that he could only fry a few clams at a time, since we don't have a deep fryer. So I had to be there at the ready to eat them as they came out of the pan fresh and hot, lol, such a hardship.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Sigh, I wish I could make baba ghanoush.

Don’t tell me how easy it is to make! I’ve tried I can’t make it. Plus you have to have a big jar of tahini and I threw mine away ages ago.
    Mine was quite edible, but since I've only had it maybe one or two other times I don't know how it compares to anything. Just for academic purposes, I'm a fan of this lady's online recipes and own her cookbook. She is good at including some details that might be missed without going overboard and explains things in an easy to understand way for me. All meatless, but many would make good side dishes or deserts. She called it, "epic baba ghanoush", which hooked me. Tahini does have limited uses.

https://cookieandkate.com/epic-baba-ganoush-recipe/

Lentil and brown rice bake with cheese topping. One of my comfort foods.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Tonight will be SW salads with rotisserie chicken.

Haven't been formally cooking in a while, but finally made eggplant pizzas last night. Sometimes they are hit or miss, but last night was a definitely hit.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Someone left packaged vegetables on top of our dumpster yesterday.mI took in:

6 English cucumbers
    2 large packages of portabela mushrooms

I’m going to freeze the mushrooms and see how that works. I mean, there’s so many of them I don’t know what else to do with him. We did eat some last night. And it was mushroom overload because DH came home from Hermann with morels which he fried up.

Now that warmer weather has begun I dug out my copy of "Bowls" published by America's Test Kitchen. It's a great book. We've been having "bowls" the last couple nights and hopefully DH is on board to put one together tonight (I have pool time reserved).

The key is to have many ingredients on hand to assemble the different bowls. Yesterday I ran to New Seasons and stocked up on udon and ramen, and also some seeds, tofu and tempeh. Veggies we always have and will also have some grilled meats some nights to toss in. Sauce ingredients we usually have too, like fish sauce, soy, broths, sriracha, etc.

I really like "cooking" this way.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Yesterday I made a salad recipe with watercress, cucumbers, radichio and homemade croutons. And leftover from another day chicken noodle soup.

Today I don't know, still a small amount of chicken soup left. I get elaborate on weekends, but it's a Monday .

America's test kitchen, yea I don't know, are the books better than Cooks Illustrated? There was awhile my mom subscribed to Cooks Illustrated and I'd read it, but everything was some weird flavor hack to optimize the taste or texture or whatever of this or that. Gah it's cooking, it was never meant to be that optimized. I like boring traditional recipes better (from any tradition anywhere).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Yesterday I made a salad recipe with watercress, cucumbers, radichio and homemade croutons. And leftover from another day chicken noodle soup.

Today I don't know, still a small amount of chicken soup left. I get elaborate on weekends, but it's a Monday .

America's test kitchen, yea I don't know, are the books better than Cooks Illustrated? There was awhile my mom subscribed to Cooks Illustrated and I'd read it, but everything was some weird flavor hack to optimize the taste or texture or whatever of this or that. Gah it's cooking, it was never meant to be that optimized. I like boring traditional recipes better (from any tradition anywhere).
    I know what you mean; I used to get that mag too. But this book is not the science of cooking, more about finding combinations that go together and how to construct really scrumptious-meals-in-a bowl. Pretty healthy recipes/ideas.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

The "Bowls" sound very interesting, KayLR. With all the different schedules in our household, this is definitely something I want to look into and get everyone doing for themselves. Thanks.

Thread Information