Page 19 of 236 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: What's for dinner?

Had the squash blossoms last night. Substituted a bit of salami since the ham had gone off. They were good! Looking forward to harvesting some more of those in coming days. (This over-the-fence gardening is the best....)
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Had the squash blossoms last night. Substituted a bit of salami since the ham had gone off. They were good! Looking forward to harvesting some more of those in coming days. (This over-the-fence gardening is the best....)
    Showing my lack of gardening knowledge, but I have a question. If you remove the blossoms, will you still get the squash, itself?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    If you remove the blossoms, will you still get the squash, itself?
    No. In fact, one can identify female blossoms from male blossoms because the females have a bulge at the base of the blossom that grows to become the squash. Since we don't want the squash, we take the blossoms. That also solves the problem of having to find homes for the squash on our side of the fence come next month.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I did not know how to tell the female from male blossoms (or even that there were such things!) Thanks, Steve. Off to go look at my jarrahdales and see who's who.

We are also eating whatever was in my husband’s ex freezer. She went to hospice at a friend’s house and told us to take her food. We took some and donated the rest. So today there’s one pork chop and a huge steak big enough for 2. She also froze a lot of pasta dishes in individual containers. Great for a quick meal with no cooking. We are visiting every 2 weeks and is so much better since stopping chemo. Looks like she will be alive when my step son gets home in August which is awesome.

I Just want to say I think you are a wonderful person, Terry.

Thanks Tybee. Most of her friends have deserted her during the illness. The couple that took her in are 2 men that she worked for after retiring. They are so good to her. They are providing all care such as bathing. You can feel the love when you go to visit. They are wonderful people.

I have a can of salmon in the cabinet, so am going to make salmon patties with a dill sauce and some green beans.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thanks, Steve. Definitely some good information and I appreciate it. I have blossoms on my little squash plant but definitely want the squash. LOL.

Last night was chicken in BBQ sauce over rice with green beans. Not sure about dinner tonight, maybe some homemade pizza.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Went to the farmer's market this morning and got fresh sweet corn and a mass of veggies. Spiralized many of them and roasted in oven. Had with seasoned wild Alaskan salmon. It was a meal worthy of a special occasion!!

Thread Information