Page 119 of 236 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169219 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 2352

Thread: What's for dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm on the "too damn hot to cook/eat plan."
    Temps are rising here as well, so I'm feeling the same. I think it will be bbq chicken on homemade sourdough rolls with whatever I can pick and throw together as a salad.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I admit to replenishing my sodium stores with jalapeno kettle chips. I forgot extra salt yesterday and was rewarded with a nasty foot cramp mid-sleep.

Well, my mushroom patties did not hold form, so the mix is in the oven as a... hmmm... mushroom sloppy joes (minus sauce)? Anyway, will still be able to be served, loose, on rolls and should still taste as good.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

my mushroom patties did not hold form
    How did you make them? Reason I ask: my husband is vegetarian and I make him mushroom "meatloaf" as individual servings in a muffin tin. When I use panko, it doesn't seem to hold together very well (certainly not without adding eggs) but when I use fresh bread ground up in the food processor, it holds together much better even without adding egg.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    How did you make them? Reason I ask: my husband is vegetarian and I make him mushroom "meatloaf" as individual servings in a muffin tin. When I use panko, it doesn't seem to hold together very well (certainly not without adding eggs) but when I use fresh bread ground up in the food processor, it holds together much better even without adding egg.
    I wonder if it is the moisture and starch in the bread that helps? Interesting. Today's problem was more sticking to the pan not being able to flip them - they just came apart in the effort and I gave up easily. LOL.

I dice the mushrooms and saute them. Drain out as much liquid as I can (easily, no big effort here - lol), add an egg, some bread crumbs or wheat germ or whatever I can, along with some shredded cheese. I either cook them right away if I have time or put in the fridge. Don't see that doing one or the other makes a difference.

How do you do the mushroom "meatloaf"?

I am having 3 people for dinner tonight and am making lasagna. I used my homemade spaghetti sauce.

How do you do the mushroom "meatloaf"?
    It was based on this recipe: https://jazzyvegetarian.com/spaghetti-and-wheatballs/

I omit the walnuts just to make it simpler. Basically fresh bread and uncooked mushrooms whirred in a food processor, with onions, garlic and Italian dried herbs for seasoning. Plop this into muffin tin compartments and bake at 350 for 1/2 hour or so. I usually have side by side pans of hamburger meatloaf and mushroom "meatloaf", then freeze the extra servings for a quick dinner.

Thanks, herbgeek. I'll definitely be giving the recipe a try.

Leftover hamburger with salad.
    Because a thunderstorm was forecast, I had bbq'd some burgers and then kept them warm in a beef broth made from Better than Bouillon. That worked out well, kept the burgers moist and flavourful for the group of friends coming to celebrate our July 1st. It was a potluck, the thunderstorm held off so we could sit outside and enjoy the first gathering this year.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Happystuff, I tried your eggplant pizzas recipe using my homemade salsa as the sauce, some pepper and salt plus parmesan sprinkle and topped with mozzarella cheese. It is soft but tasty. I like eggplant so am exploring new recipes for this veg. Glad I tried it and will make it again with other toppings as it is so easy. I want to try freezing the leftovers as the final test of any recipe for me.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information