Page 39 of 236 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: What's for dinner?

I have really cut down on drinking red wine because I’m doing weight watchers program and it’s a choice between alcohol and food. So yeah I’ll take food. So I probably have a glass of red wine every 2 1/2 weeks

Thanks happy! Today we have a free large pizza coupon for my husband’s birthday so doing that. The newer alcohol free beers taste good and I haven’t yet tried the A/F wine or hard stuff. All the flavors without the calories or tiredness.

Tonight: Cambodian takeout from one of our favorite restaurants. We're going to do a socially-distanced dinner outside with a good friend of ours. if this goes well, we'll do some more before the snow flies.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Thanks happy! Today we have a free large pizza coupon for my husband’s birthday so doing that. The newer alcohol free beers taste good and I haven’t yet tried the A/F wine or hard stuff. All the flavors without the calories or tiredness.
    You are the second person to far this morning to mention "pizza" for dinner. Maybe the universe is telling me something - lol. I may rethink the chicken 'n dumplings for some homemade pizza.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We had pizza Saturday. I admit I've had pizza more often since coronavirus since you can't really go to restaurants anyway. We only get it from a local place of good quality (maybe not as good as homemade but for restaurants it's good - and the whole point of pizza is too tired to cook!).
    Trees don't grow on money

So, here's a good Food Network challenge, Simple Living-style.

Today I bought 3 grassfed lamb chops on sale, half price ($5 for the three of them). I also bought an organic whole young chicken, 30% off. Here's the challenge: I have no stovetop, range, or broiler.

I DO have a one burner electric hotplate (which I bought at the dollar store yesterday to get me through until my new replacement stove arrives). I also have a very, very small, basic microwave, a crockpot and a brick outdoor grill (not propane).

How would you cook the a) lamb chops and b) the whole chicken?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Cut up the chicken, make a Thai curry with coconut milk, Thai curry paste, onions, garlic. Cook that up for several hours. Then add vegetables like carrots peppers.p and cook for a while.

It is a little better when you can brown the chicken on the stove top before putting it in the crockpot, but that is not essential. Serve over rice. Rice cooked on one burner.

edited to add:

or if you dont have Thai curry ingredients, Cook the chicken with onions and garlic in the crock pot until done. Add chicken stock and noodles.

or—after cooking chicken with onions and garlic, add tomatoes, zucchini, peppers.serve over rice.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-1-20 at 12:43am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I have really cut down on drinking red wine because I’m doing weight watchers program and it’s a choice between alcohol and food. So yeah I’ll take food.
    I'm reminded of a friend in college who was a proponent of what he called the "Coors Light Diet". Instead of eating dinner he would drink a six pack of Coors Light since it supposedly had less calories than a normal meal and he figured he'd be drunk enough to not care that he wasn't eating. Not surprisingly I don't remember him actually losing any weight...

Tomorrow, I'm thinking cottage cheese and tomatoes, an artichoke...

Beef and veggie soup with salad.

Thread Information