Thread: Looking at ALL my stuff-Inventory/June 2020

Looking at ALL my stuff-Inventory/June 2020

After moving from an off grid cabin back to semi-city life, I am taking inventory of everything. This is not complete and I would like to narrow down each category, but this is what I am currently working with.

I am still into minimalism, but it’s a different point of view now. Honestly, from what we had to this is life changing!

Current set up:
    1 bedroom, oversized apartment. HUGE walk in closet in bedroom, half is my son’s closet, the other is used for storage of most of our gear/camping/ect. Items. My son has the bedroom and I sleep in the oversized area that would normally be the dining area. It has a huge window and I can see the stars at night. 2 cats to keep us happy!

Knife (2)- 1 personal size, 1 larger, working size
    Knife, small ax, homemade laundry detergent in large jar, canning jars and supplies
    Drying rack/Clothesline/Pins
    Solar camping lights/rechargeable battery pack/travel solar panels
    Pots for herbs/flowers
    Long growing/water trays (4)
    Stick Vac
    1 large tray basket with handles
    Vitamix
    Juicer
    2 bowls
    Set of dishes- 2 each of plates, salad/ pasta bowl, cereal bowl
    1 bin with all kitchen items needed (still sorting)
    4 reusable drink containers
    4 person tall tent
    2 camp chairs
    2 sleeping bags
    Misc. small bin with small camping items- utensils, matches, compass, etc
    2 tarps
    2 head lamps
    4 beach towels
    4 regular towels/12 wash cloths/bathmat/shower curtain/rings
    Clothes- limited to 2 bins each (still sorting all of this because of lifestyle location change)
    Shoes- limited to 1 bin each
    1 bin for misc. items- hats, belts, specific sport items- swim, hiking, yoga, biking, etc.
    1 wooden small pantry shelf/with door- being used as a “closet” right now
    1 IKEA 4 tall open shelving- used for temporary closet right now
    Bedding- 2 down comforters, 1 quilt, 1 soft throw, 1 wool blanket, 4 pillows, 1 set of full size sheets (2 pillow cases), 1 queen size flat sheet with 2 pillow cases
    Full size mattress set
    Sleeping mat with extra thick sleeping pad
    Desk w/chair
    Son’s legos, 10 favorite books, drawing/design items- pads, pencils, ruler/guitar/Star Wars clock
    1 cookie jar (important to use!!! LOL)
    60 books for Mom (Slooooow purge)
    Small bin of misc. personal items- photos, homemade gifts, patches, etc.
    2 phones, 1 laptop, 1 desktop
    1 bin with hygiene products for 2 (still sorting this one out)
    1 bin with extra supply of household items/backstock- will use up and replace if and when needed
    1 professional camera, extra lens, tripod, accessories, bag
    2 backpacks
    1 small carry on suitcase
    1 purse
    1 extra large tote, 10 reusable grocery totes, 10 fruit/vegetable reusable bags
    Yoga mat/straps/light hand held weights/foam rollers (2)/ acupressure mat
    2 cat ceramic dishes- food/water
    Large cat carrier
    Basket w/blanket for cat bed
    Broom/dust pan
    24 reusable cleaning rags
    4 dish towels
    1 dish pan
    Hair clippers/case/blades/oil/scissors
    Iron-I lay a towel on my counter and go to town!
    Fabric scissors/thread/needles/glue
    Small box of tools- basics
    1 fire/lockbox
    2 boxes of food stuffs- we were preppers/preservers and I took what I needed that could last me some time. Also, trying to eat more clean. I donated quite a bit.
    1 Jeep

Things we purged that helped minimize our items drastically:

1. Wall décor- other than my own photography , we have nothing other than 1 poster my son keeps in his room.
    2. Picture frames- again, hate cleaning them, organized photos chronologically into albums and scanned them as I went.
    3. Chotskies- none other than what my son has made me/bought me over the years.
    4. Cleaning tools- eliminated steam cleaner, floor cleaning spinner, mop and bucket- we just wiped down the floors every other day- small space, makes it easy.
    5. Cleaning products- vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, Dr. Bronners, homemade laundry soap, and a small bottle of bleach (we rarely use).
    6. Furnitue- I know, weird, but since we moved, I brought 1 piece of actual furniture. Slowly rethinking furniture.
    7. Lamps- seems weird but no furniture, no lamps! We do have some fairy lights strung up, that are solar powered. We just ran the battery pack to the window. My son has one of those pack-able solar lights for his room.
    8. Extra of things- even with Covid 19 going on, I realized we just use what we use, if that makes sense.
    9. Holiday Related items- we started travelling at Christmas, our favorite, last year. We get the joy of the décor with the storage needs! We still plan on travelling this year, even if it’s local.
    10. Curtains- No more messing around with rods, curtains, ironing, taking down and washing, falling down off the wall. Nope! DONE!
    11. Craft items. I had time to do it before but lifestyle changes and needs are different.

What I still love!

1. My drying rack and clothesline! And my Dr. Bronners Green Tea soap. YUMMY!
    2. My space related items! I don’t have many, but I have some key pieces that I do adore!
    3. My Vitamix-I use it several times a day and love it.
    4. My canning jars- they can be used for everything- storage is key for me..from cotton balls, to drink glasses, to bulk food storage, vases, etc.
    Last edited by Txbeauty; 6-6-20 at 4:21pm.

We used to have a poster that counted his items and never had more than 200.

That's amazing! I don't think I am looking for a number, for myself, just maybe a better perspective.

We have downsized to 1400 sq ft and gotten rid of a ton of stuff. I could live in 800 if I was alone. My husband is messy so I contain his stuff to his office, shed and 1 car garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We have downsized to 1400 sq ft and gotten rid of a ton of stuff. I could live in 800 if I was alone. My husband is messy so I contain his stuff to his office, shed and 1 car garage.
    I went from 400 to 800 to 1800 to 750, now am in 650. It's an interesting process, as life ebbs and flows, aging, changes in choices, people, lifestyle, dwelling etc.

We sold the cabin/land with it fully furnished and stocked. I am looking at buying a small cottage, but there would have still not been enough room for everything. We were very self sufficient and I still consider myself that way, just on a much smaller scale. I do like having a small prep of food and water and some medications/first aid, but not on the scale that we had. The good thing is I can still live "off grid" in whatever space I have. Once you acquire the skills, you can adapt.

I have also learned, say with clothing, that certain materials and brands work better for my lifestyle. For instance: We didn't need that many winter clothes, as we live were it is a moderate winter. I was able to sell my long winter coat and heavier boots, along with some wool items that I never wore. Even if I traveled where it was cold, I could borrow or just layer and still be fine. I learned a lot about myself and what works for me.

Food- I can grow food anywhere. Even in this small space, I have some herbs/radishes/carrots/peppers/bok choy/lettuces/beets growing. I just grow what I truly love!

Congrats!

I have a lot more to get rid of before I would even attempt to count. I'm hoping to be able to someday, but in the meantime, I'm tryin'!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Congrats!

I have a lot more to get rid of before I would even attempt to count. I'm hoping to be able to someday, but in the meantime, I'm tryin'!
    I have learned to enjoy the process!

Quote Originally Posted by Txbeauty View Post
    I have learned to enjoy the process!
    So true! When I stop and think about it, I DO enjoy the process.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information