Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30 years of Practicing Minimalism

30 years of Practicing Minimalism

Hard to believe but I have been a mostly minimalist lover for over 30 years. I do feel, at this point, it is something I am actively practicing, just like working out or learning a new skill.I have been everything from extreme (less that 74 items, living out of a backpack) to more comfortable (having a family, ebbing and flowing to our living/life situations) and everything in between. Today, I would say I am a happy minimalist. I have what I need, love what I have and can easily take care of what I do own and my environment is pleasant and zen. I have never had the desire to compete in minimalism, like you sometimes see on blogs or in videos, because I find no value in that but I do like to challenge myself to weird little things, like making 5 ingredient dishes, wearing just 4 items for the week to work, and seeing if anyone notices. I am also an expert of knowing my needs and editing as I go. Seems a little quirky, but I love to do these things.

Where are my minimalist/ish peeps at?

Yppej
    I am not as minimalist as you. I have been gradually vacationing closer to home so I spend less time in transit, more time relaxing, and less money, but I did not anticipate the current situation with no vacation. My finances, home, and work are straightforward. A lot of the complexity in my life comes from the give and take living with my mentally ill son, but I would not trade him for the world. My hobbies are low cost. For instance, from this time last year through the New Hampshire primary I went to hear 13 presidential candidates at their in person events. I was scheduled to hear a 14th, Howie Hawkins, in Connecticut when he cancelled due to covid. I am ready for the pandemic to be over so my life can get a little bit more complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am not as minimalist as you. I have been gradually vacationing closer to home so I spend less time in transit, more time relaxing, and less money, but I did not anticipate the current situation with no vacation. My finances, home, and work are straightforward. A lot of the complexity in my life comes from the give and take living with my mentally ill son, but I would not trade him for the world. My hobbies are low cost. For instance, from this time last year through the New Hampshire primary I went to hear 13 presidential candidates at their in person events. I was scheduled to hear a 14th, Howie Hawkins, in Connecticut when he cancelled due to covid. I am ready for the pandemic to be over so my life can get a little bit more complex.
    That sounded like a great, learning experience! We do the same, more educational and exploring type travel. Texas is big, so there is plenty to explore and see within a few hours and not a lot of people. I am pretty simple in my finances and hobbies as well. I've been doing some found material art projects and our little old lady neighbor "bought" my son's from him for $1. It's been fun!

I used to have decorations for every season). That’s done and now I have only a few Xmas decorations that fit in one small box. I downsized clothes, pictures and Knick naks. If I haven’t used it in a year it’s gone except for luggage. We prefer to spend our money on travel and experiences. Since we are getting older we are traveling more internationally because who knows how long we both can do that. Hopefully we will be able to reschedule our month trip to Europe next summer. Don’t know if we will ever feel comfortable taking another cruise. We really enjoyed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I used to have decorations for every season). That’s done and now I have only a few Xmas decorations that fit in one small box. I downsized clothes, pictures and Knick naks. If I haven’t used it in a year it’s gone except for luggage. We prefer to spend our money on travel and experiences. Since we are getting older we are traveling more internationally because who knows how long we both can do that. Hopefully we will be able to reschedule our month trip to Europe next summer. Don’t know if we will ever feel comfortable taking another cruise. We really enjoyed them.
    Sounds lovely!

We have done lots of traveling in the states. We used our motor home to go to national park’s with 4 dogs. We only missed one that I still want to see (Glacier). We sold it in February.

We have done lots of traveling in the states. We used our motor home to go to national park’s with 4 dogs. We only missed one that I still want to see (Glacier). We sold it in February.
    Could you rent one and wipe it down and go?

We will go by car someday. We sold ours because the cost of gas and RV sites were expensive. Renting is very expensive. 4 years ago to park in Yellowstone it was 55/night and grand Tetons was 75. That’s for basically a parking spot close to your neighbor with no picnic table. It was nice not to have to drive through the park every day to get to your hotel. We went 4K miles, spent 6k with me cooking all the meals for a month. 2 years ago we took the car, 3 dogs and went 6k miles for a month and spent 4K staying in motels and eating most meals out.

We will go by car someday. We sold ours because the cost of gas and RV sites were expensive. Renting is very expensive. 4 years ago to park in Yellowstone it was 55/night and grand Tetons was 75. That’s for basically a parking spot close to your neighbor with no picnic table. It was nice not to have to drive through the park every day to get to your hotel. We went 4K miles, spent 6k with me cooking all the meals for a month. 2 years ago we took the car, 3 dogs and went 6k miles for a month and spent 4K staying in motels and eating most meals out.
    We're currently in a campground in Sioux Falls SD for the night, moving over to Keystone SD tomorrow for 10 days, then on to Wyoming and maybe Montana before heading south to Utah and Colorado before heading home. Should be home sometime between mid July and early August.

It's got nothing to do with minimalism, just letting you know what you're missing.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Glad you are having fun Alan. Actually a month is all I can stand being away from home whether it’s in a motel or RV. Even going to Europe I feel the same way. As much as my husband likes to travel our last car driving trip was supposed to be for 6 weeks. We cut it short at a month because both of us were sick of being gone. We don’t miss the motor home at all and were so happy it sold.

Thread Information