Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: YES! YES! YES!

In my limited experience, if somebody takes a kid, the second amendment guys are very willing to come out. Also, I can think of at least two who would come if my house was broken into.

I didn’t make any value judgement on the sheriff. I just believe that technically the job would fall there. You could also try the state police. And I think the FBI responds for kidnapping? Sometimes at least.

This defunding effort reminds me a whole lot of something I observed 20 years ago when “outsourcing “ was it a real big trend in libraries. It was one private university that took the “outsourcing “ of their behind-the-scenes activities to the extreme and paid an outside company to do it all. That was the most radical approach, but I was reading between the lines to assume that all current employees were recalcitrant slow movers who had not been responding to administrative directives for some years, so laying off the whole kit’n caboodle allow them to regroup The activity and get it performed more efficiently if not at a less costly rate.

A few years later they returned to hire their own in-house staff to perform the activity. Probably all new staff who would actually pay attention to goals of the organization.

So in summary— This case showed an instance of same activities being performed just by different actors

It will be interesting to see how this “police-free future” move will play with the voters. I’ve heard the Council President answered the question of who to call at 2AM by saying it came from “a place of privilege”. Is the general voting population of Minneapolis truly going to accept this grand experiment?

From my reading of the BBC and other UK news sources/blogs, the UK used to have a lot of officers involved in "community policing" - on bike or on foot, really in touch with the community, built a lot of trust. Crime seemed to be down with this approach and the community would tip off officers on more serious things. Due to budget cuts, the community policing aspect has been really affected, and crime is now up.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this “police-free future” move will play with the voters. I’ve heard the Council President answered the question of who to call at 2AM by saying it came from “a place of privilege”. Is the general voting population of Minneapolis truly going to accept this grand experiment?
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Huh?
    That’s what I said. Could it be possible that activists will back the Democrats into a corner on what could prove to be an electoral albatross?

IL, they are not dangerous but waking people up in the middle of the night while they are sleeping and with not enough time to pack is cruel. Our police suck and they don’t want witnesses to how they are treating people. They then pay a fortune to throw away their stuff. The shelters are full so they just move somewhere else rinse and repeat. Not a solution. I saw a kid walking across a street with his headphones on and didn’t know a cop behind him spoke to him. When he didn’t respond the cop came from behind and pushed him a few times until he was against a wall being roughed up. I was driving and at a light. I wish I would have videoed it. We had a totally peaceful protest last night downtown which for once the police didn’t get involved and make worse. The world is watching and fed up.

Oh sure we had the big giant outrage some years ago about the possessions of the homeless being pitched. Smelly, bug ridden possessions are sacred to some of course. Just yesterday
    I passed a woman on the sidewalk with her stroller full of junk and she was leaning into it, talking to the junk. Every item there is precious! I get it. Values. Honor all values. Crappy items matter.

Iris

those “crappy” items matter a great deal to some people.

i hope you are never in a position of having things that are important to you forcibly taken from you and destroyed.

i hope you are never in a position where items you might now see as trash become extremely dear because they are a noticeable improvement over nothing and you have no way to replace them.

and I hope you learn more empathy without either experience.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    That’s what I said. Could it be possible that activists will back the Democrats into a corner on what could prove to be an electoral albatross?
    The below quote is from a poster on another forum I frequent about the "calling someone at 2am is privilege":

"If calling the police because your house is being broken into causes you more problems than not calling, you've done something wrong in life."

Thread Information