Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: YES! YES! YES!

It just occurred to me that I have an Inner Bag Lady who has always caused me to be very cautious about certain life choices, and she has required me to save money like a fiend. She has been inflexible in that regard!

I actually do think I have a pretty good sense of the instability of life in poverty. That’s what Inner Bag Ladies train us to do, use that fear of unknown to garner and hoard resources i.e. money.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Isn’t that what they used to call a struggle session?
    Yup. Complete with kneeling to another human being as ritual humiliation. Something we were taught Americans did not do.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It just occurred to me that I have an Inner Bag Lady who has always caused me to be very cautious about certain life choices, and she has required me to save money like a fiend. She has been inflexible in that regard!

I actually do think I have a pretty good sense of the instability of life in poverty. That’s what Inner Bag Ladies train us to do, use that fear of unknown to garner and hoard resources i.e. money.
    Yes, I imagine a lot of frugal people got that way because of some life trauma or another. I had to pawn my engagement ring to buy groceries for my children.

Oh, but hey, if someone deems you "privileged" then all the work you did, all the struggle to improve your circumstances and avoid falling back into poverty-- hey, you're privileged, and the little white academic 30 year old with the great job-- why she is morally superior to you, didn't you know that?

I've heard a lot of women house those internal bag ladies. I've never for a minute entertained the idea that I couldn't support myself, for no reason that I can divine. I probably should have, because I've been careless/cavalier with money to the extent I was heavily in debt for awhile. I'm more careful now, and I've noticed that the more money I have, the less inclined I am to spend it foolishly.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've noticed that the more money I have, the less inclined I am to spend it foolishly.
    Isn't that the truth! Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Isn't that the truth! Interesting.
    I've always loved this exchange between Henry Higgins and Alfred P. Doolittle in Pygmalion/My Fair Lady:

HIGGINS. I suppose we must give him a fiver.

PICKERING. He'll make a bad use of it, I'm afraid.

DOOLITTLE. Not me, Governor, so help me I won't. Don't you be afraid that I'll save it and spare it and live idle on it. There won't be a penny of it left by Monday: I'll have to go to work same as if I'd never had it. It won't pauperize me, you bet. Just one good spree for myself and the missus, giving pleasure to ourselves and employment to others, and satisfaction to you to think it's not been throwed away. You couldn't spend it better.

HIGGINS [taking out his pocket book and coming between Doolittle and the piano] This is irresistible. Let's give him ten. [He offers two notes to the dustman].

DOOLITTLE. No, Governor. She wouldn't have the heart to spend ten; and perhaps I shouldn't neither. Ten pounds is a lot of money: it makes a man feel prudent like; and then goodbye to happiness. You give me what I ask you, Governor: not a penny more, and not a penny less.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I've always loved this exchange between Henry Higgins and Alfred P. Doolittle in Pygmalion/My Fair Lady:

HIGGINS. I suppose we must give him a fiver.

PICKERING. He'll make a bad use of it, I'm afraid.

DOOLITTLE. Not me, Governor, so help me I won't. Don't you be afraid that I'll save it and spare it and live idle on it. There won't be a penny of it left by Monday: I'll have to go to work same as if I'd never had it. It won't pauperize me, you bet. Just one good spree for myself and the missus, giving pleasure to ourselves and employment to others, and satisfaction to you to think it's not been throwed away. You couldn't spend it better.

HIGGINS [taking out his pocket book and coming between Doolittle and the piano] This is irresistible. Let's give him ten. [He offers two notes to the dustman].

DOOLITTLE. No, Governor. She wouldn't have the heart to spend ten; and perhaps I shouldn't neither. Ten pounds is a lot of money: it makes a man feel prudent like; and then goodbye to happiness. You give me what I ask you, Governor: not a penny more, and not a penny less.
    Very wise. That made me think of how I always identified with the grasshopper rather than the ant, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Yup. Complete with kneeling to another human being as ritual humiliation. Something we were taught Americans did not do.
    I believe we're on the cusp of a new social and governmental order based upon white guilt. I'm not surprised to see people's efforts to erase history such as banning any and every thing related to the Confederacy, but I am surprised to see our government do the same such as removing monuments and renaming schools and military installations.

I'm distressed to see businesses and other private institutions begin firing people based upon a social media post due to fear of harassment. I'm distressed by the everyday fear people have of being noticed by groups who will stop at nothing to harass and disgrace them if they say the wrong thing with legal systems and governmental entities assisting them in their efforts.

I don't approve of this foolishness but fear it's become the way things work in the future.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'm not surprised to see people's efforts to erase history such as banning any and every thing related to the Confederacy, but I am surprised to see our government do the same such as removing monuments and renaming schools and military installations.
    Interesting take. I don't see it as an effort to "erasing history by banning everything... etc", but I rather see it as not "glorifying" that which probably shouldn't be glorified to the extent is had been. As for renaming monuments, school, installations, etc. it happens for a number of different reasons - usually related to money. Look at the trend in re-naming sports stadiums. LOL. A lot around my way are now named for banks!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I’m starting to have hope that we will finally move past our racist history.

Thread Information