Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: YES! YES! YES!

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I noticed a subtle little difference the last time we were pulled over a couple weeks ago, that had never happened before. When the officer approached the car, he first came onto the passenger side and shone his flashlight in. (I was in the passenger seat) In previous past instances, the officer always went directly to the driver side and looked in from that direction. Nothing big, just a little thing that stuck out in my mind and I totally understand why the difference!
    I don’t understand the difference. Enlighten me. And I wouldn’t be extrapolating new police procedures based on one interaction with one police officer.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    And now apparently we don’t know that at all. They screwed up the vote counting and are starting over.
    Yes. I heard they managed to include many thousands of “test votes” in the initial count. I will be interested in seeing if they find some creative way to blame the Republicans. In any case, it won’t be surprising to see the losers question the legitimacy of the final result.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I don’t understand the difference. Enlighten me. And I wouldn’t be extrapolating new police procedures based on one interaction with one police officer.
    I took it as he was doing a closer check of the passenger before heading around to the driver.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Yes. I heard they managed to include many thousands of “test votes” in the initial count. I will be interested in seeing if they find some creative way to blame the Republicans. In any case, it won’t be surprising to see the losers question the legitimacy of the final result.
    Our city recently changed to a system of top winners, not just one winner. I didn’t know how they were weighting those votes or if every vote in second choice and third choice counts the same as every vote in first choice? I guess any weighting would be complex.

We don’t have any Republicans here in my city to blame but the progressive as well most surely blame the whatever’s and they’re all Democrats.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-30-21 at 2:27pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Our city recently changed to a system of top winners, not just one winner. I didn’t know how they were waiting those votes or if every vote in second choice and third choice counts the same as every vote in first choice? I guess any waiting since it would be complex.

We don’t have any Republicans here in my city to blame but the progressive as well most surely blame the whatever’s and they’re all Democrats.
    One problem they may have when the smoke clears in NYC is that exit polling indicates white voters were somewhat more likely to vote all five ranked choices while others were somewhat more likely to vote only once in the top spot. I’ve heard a a few pundits argue this could raise Voting Rights Act issues.

Our police can be trigger happy so the last time I was pulled over I kept my hands high on the wheel. When they asked for my driver’s license I asked if it was okay to open the glove compartment. I am being more cautious but also routine traffic stops have ended in death for some officers so I am sure that makes them edgy also. What a mess in general.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I took it as he was doing a closer check of the passenger before heading around to the driver.
    Isn't this so they don't get sideswiped by a passing vehicle? They are safer on the side of the road away from traffic than in the middle of the road. My guess is they would do this even if there were no passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Isn't this so they don't get sideswiped by a passing vehicle? They are safer on the side of the road away from traffic than in the middle of the road. My guess is they would do this even if there were no passenger.
    We were in a parking lot - off the road - and, after checking the passenger side, he walked around to the driver side.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Our police can be trigger happy so the last time I was pulled over I kept my hands high on the wheel. When they asked for my driver’s license I asked if it was okay to open the glove compartment. I am being more cautious but also routine traffic stops have ended in death for some officers so I am sure that makes them edgy also. What a mess in general.
    Our police are not trigger happy - to my knowledge - but I agree that caution seems to exist on both sides now. A mess in general, but if the end result is that no one is getting hurt or killed - yay.

So I see there was an attempted armed robbery during a television interview of Oakland's Director of Violence Prevention. Fortunately they had armed security on hand to thwart the robbers. The City had recently reduced it's police budget, and redirected most of that funding to Violence Prevention.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...-of-city-hall/

Thread Information