Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Successfully Simplifying Right Now?

Yppej

What Are You Successfully Simplifying Right Now?

I have been watching a show that airs late and is not available on demand. Last night I turned it off and decided I am going to pass on it going forward. There are enough other things I can do that don't impact my sleep schedule.

My to-do list. In addition to the projects being finished now that I have additional free time, I'm looking at projects which have been on the list for years (in some cases) and deciding that, if they haven't bubbled toward the top in that time, they probably aren't even important enough to track. Take 'em off the list. If they raise their big ugly rear ends some day in the future, they'll go back on the list, presumably with a higher status than "someday".
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I am simplifying my musical instruments. Have sold a violin and two guitars, working on selling a mandolin. Probably should sell a viola and my keyboard.

I'm simplifying our outdoor items. Specifically, bought a new shed about 2 weeks ago. Am in the processing of removing items from the old shed and tossing, selling, or putting in the new shed. Old shed was about 8.5' x 10'. New shed is 7' x 7'. Am down to needing room for several snow shovels and a "currently-broken-but-dh-wants-to-fix-after-its-been-sitting-5-years" snowblower. Smaller and less will definitely simplify things!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej, your simplifying of technology at the end of the day is exactly what I'm also working on! I'm involved in a self-mastery program at the moment, and they stress the importance of AM and PM "bookends" and one of the core pieces of the PM bookend is shutting off technology an hour before bedtime because the "blue light" as well as the content of the TV, etc messes up your sleep, just as you said.

I'm also simplifying food routines. For instance: I'm committed to eating less junk, and a way to do that is eat a salad a day. The barrier to that is I always have to dig the stuff out of the fridge, cut and dice, decide what I want in it, etc. etc. So I dug out all my plastic Chinese take-out containers, and I made a little "salad bar" by preparing in advance all the things I'd want in a salad, so now, I just take out the lettuce and the 5-6 containers with sprouts, green peppers, olives, roasted red peppers and pine nuts, and it takes about 3 minutes to make my salad.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Bill paying. I've finally switched over to paying them electronically--one of those things I should have done years ago.

Gardening. Most all my baby seedlings I have tended for the past few months are in the ground so other than watering it is now up to them to do their thing.

Got rid of 80% of my Knick naks so dusting is a breeze. No one would ever know and my place is not bare at all.

I guess life is simpler in that I hardly ever have to go anywhere anymore. That is pretty cool. I love being at home and experiencing the feeling of time abundance.

Yppej
    Great idea on the salad bar Catherine.

Thread Information