Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Seattle Autonomous Zone.....

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    So, it looks to me like we’d have to pay you off quite a lot to get you to leave this terrible awful no good very bad place. Kind of odd really when you think about it.
    It's much easier to disparage other people's failures to give you the things you want than to take responsibility for providing them for yourself. So hey, set the bar high so you can just complain about others not doing enough for you and not actually have to make any changes.

I remember that. You can’t just move to another country.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I remember that. You can’t just move to another country.
    I remember her, too. It was a rough story, because she seemed to be acclimating incredibly well, her children were happy, they had a nice house, her work was supporting them, as I remember, anyway, and she was certain they were going to get the green card, whatever it is called there. They were there a long time. Last I remember she was looking at Pittsburgh for relocation.

Years ago when I got divorced I looked at other places to live, even trying to get Irish citizenship based on second husband's grandfather being born in Ireland (which we had been told.) Turns out it wasn't true, and he was Scottish, which I found out doing genealogy work. It was much cheaper to do the investment option then. We might have had a shot at Canada then as we had skills and were younger then.

Now, no one would want us (that sounds pathetic.) However, all the genealogy work I've done has cemented the feeling that my ancestors have been here since the start, and so have my husband's ancestors, and I'd hate to leave my homeland. I think I would feel like Philip Nolan if I had to leave.

Yppej
    Here is an article on top immigrant friendly countries. New Zealand is not on the list.

https://www.immigroup.com/news/top-1...ndly-countries

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Judging by international happiness/satisfaction surveys, the grass here is sparse and dry.
    I do wonder exactly what they ask. Seems to me by default we are setting ourselves up for a fail, being a society that operates on CONSUMERISM and keeping up with the Jones. Happiness is an internal thing and chasing it externally, would automatically skew any survey.

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m always amused when celebrities or whoever says they’re sick of stuff in the US, and want to move to Canada or elsewhere. They never stop to think that other countries actually have rules and won’t let you just move there. Hell, even Mexico has own rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I remember her, too. It was a rough story, because she seemed to be acclimating incredibly well, her children were happy, they had a nice house, her work was supporting them, as I remember, anyway, and she was certain they were going to get the green card, whatever it is called there. They were there a long time. Last I remember she was looking at Pittsburgh for relocation.

Years ago when I got divorced I looked at other places to live, even trying to get Irish citizenship based on second husband's grandfather being born in Ireland (which we had been told.) Turns out it wasn't true, and he was Scottish, which I found out doing genealogy work. It was much cheaper to do the investment option then. We might have had a shot at Canada then as we had skills and were younger then.

Now, no one would want us (that sounds pathetic.) However, all the genealogy work I've done has cemented the feeling that my ancestors have been here since the start, and so have my husband's ancestors, and I'd hate to leave my homeland. I think I would feel like Philip Nolan if I had to leave.
    Even further back was a poster who was English, married to an American, and they emigrated to Canada after several years in the U.S. she had some sort of business. They did not stay because the economic opportunities weren’t there for both to be employed. I remember she gave a very evenhanded account of the three countries she knew and said they are pros and cons to each one and she didn’t find any one to be better than the other.

Mr. Money Mustache himself, Pete, came to the U.s. from
    Canada for the economic opportunity, as did his wife. He amassed the $$$ he wanted and has stayed here.He is now divorced.

I wouldn’t be surprised if either one of them move back to Canada when their child is of majority age , although I have not heard him say anything about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    As I’ve mentioned before, I’m always amused when celebrities or whoever says they’re sick of stuff in the US, and want to move to Canada or elsewhere. They never stop to think that other countries actually have rules and won’t let you just move there. Hell, even Mexico has own rules.
    Yeah--but if you have enough money, you can buy your way into most countries. I'd have to use my charm, which hasn't got me far to this point.

I had a co-worker who retired and split his year between Idaho and New Zealand. I ran into him at our mutual dentist's office in Portland after I moved to Washington, oddly. That's how he dealt with the pesky citizenship thing.

This country has been on a trajectory toward oligarchy for some time. At this point it's devolved into a kakistocracy.

Thread Information