Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do I do with these CSA veggies?

I make sweet potato fries all the time using this recipe -- the parboiling step seems like extra effort, but it ensures they get fully cooked inside and nice and crispy on the outside (I don't use nearly as much oil on the baking tray as the recipe calls for and they still turn out fine):

https://smittenkitchen.com/2015/10/oven-fries/
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Thanks Ihamo. I will try your sweet potato fries recipe on Sunday for Father's Day. Thanks for posting it!! Nice to see you here too!

Best thing I did was get a farm cookbook. Mine is the N.H. Farm museum cookbook. Also, most CSAs publish recipes, at least the 2 we’ve been involved with do. If you don’t like a veggie the way it comes, push your boundaries a little and see If you can find a way.

Felt the way you did about escarole, now it’s a seasonal treat. We eat it with oil and vinegar dressing.

I sauté the turnip greens with butter. We don’t much like turnips either, but we’ll eat the greens that way and I don’t mind turnips puréed

Pea shoots and pasta is good.

I dry the savory and it’s part of my “house” pot pourri . I use dill fresh in salads some and dry the rest. Drying those herbs saves a bunch of $, look at the unit prices on those little bottles in the market!

Sweet potatoes are good chunked and roasted.

A few of the surprises were that we liked the sweet potatoes. I made fries the way Ihamo suggested (thank you) and also spiraled them with other vegetables that I roasted. I used the leeks in a black bean soup that was delicious. Tried pea shoots, Jerusalem artichokes, and crimini mushrooms for the first time and will buy those again!!! I made dandelion greens on the stovetop and they were ok. Escarole, kale, spinach, thyme, savory, dill, spearmint, chives, and peppermint were either eaten fresh or dried/frozen. I did not like green garlic and have garlic scapes fermenting now. I was not impressed with getting dill twice especially since pickling pickles are not yet available.

I did use the local farmer market CSA cookbooks I have on the shelf for different ideas and, of course, the internet. I did get a listing of what is locally available for the next 3 months from the food coop and will try something new each time I go shopping.

I enjoyed doing the CSA for a month. I will not do it again though. It was way too much for 2 people. There were too many "greens" and not enough other things. I did learn how to preserve a lot of the things via freezing, drying and fermentation. So, I learned a lot which made this a very valuable experience plus it helped the farmers in the local area because restaurants were closed.

Thread Information