Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I do with these CSA veggies?

What do I do with these CSA veggies?

Escarole.... a type of bitter lettuce. Tastes terrible raw???? Ideas?

Savory.... dry it and use on meat or ???? Never used the stuff before?

Turnip tops... saw a recipe to use sauté with bacon???? I like turnips not sure about the tops.

Thyme... another to dry and use in soups or teas for colds in winter???

Radish tops.... same as for turnips like the veggie but not sure about the top... just throw???

Baby dill... will use some for fermented carrots... dry the rest? To soon for pickles?

Pea shoots... looks like lettuce... tastes good. Last week got pea shoot micro-greens that were really good.

Sweet potatoes... not a favorite. Will try making into fries to see if palatable. Haven't had them in a while so mind may change???

--------- Any and all ideas APPRECIATED!

This has been interesting. I have to even look up on how to store some of this and for how long it is good for. The only thing last week I have not used are leeks. I am thinking to make a bean dish with leeks? stir fry?

I don’t like sweet potatoes but I love the fries.

Well you can use some thyme and dill fresh, the thyme in soups (I use it in chicken soup), in omlets etc.. A lot of greek influenced recipes call for dill. Either could be used fresh in salad dressings, thyme is pretty standard, dill more exotic but I've certainly made dressings with it, just look for a recipe. I made tzatziki with fresh dill (and mint) this week. Think dill is used for salmon a lot too (I've used it in salmon chowder).

Leek could also be used in soups, I use it that way, actually you could use it for much of whatever you use onions for. It seems you can cook escarole, what I do with some bitter greens like radicchio is mix them with more mild greens in a salad, but I haven't used much escarole, but maybe that would work.
    Trees don't grow on money

Where are you, what state, that you have sweet potatoes so soon? I was thinking you were in a coldish place.

Escarole soup is yummy. I love sweet potatoes - I would encourage you to give them another try!

Sweet potatoes are mostly only good slathered with butter and maybe some of salt and pepper, but they are good that way. I have found no other use for them. I've tried frying them like potatoes but they stick a lot more to the pan. I don't like the deep orange type (yams) even with butter, only the yellow kind, or the white with purple skins.
    Trees don't grow on money

I made potato salad once with regular Yukon gold potatoes, but I happened to have a sweet potato, so I just used that one, too. So just hide it under white potatoes, and you'll be good to go!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

This sweet potato salad is a staple at our house. We steam little chunks of sweet potato until tender and toss with black beans, red bell pepper, green onions, frozen corn and cilantro. Toss in lime vinaigrette with a dash of honey and cumin. Chill. For various greens, I just sauté in olive oil, garlic and with a splash of balsamic vinegar. Doing some red kale and chard that way tonight.

Make mashed potatoes with the sweet potatoes! Anything is yummy with lots of milk and butter.

Leek is very good in a potato soup.

Thread Information