Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I do with these CSA veggies?

Sweet potato pie is about the only good use I can think of for those.

I've seen people grill escarole. I agree on the sweet potato fries.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Escarole in soup and a small amount in salad is good. Savory is incredible with green beans, otherwise dry it. I dry a lot of herbs and then mix them all together with 1 part herbs maybe 3 or 4 times as much sea salt for a seasoned salt I use on everything. turnips and radish tops can be treated like any other green : sauteed with maybe some onion or in a soup. Dill can be chopped and frozen, or put it in a blender/food processor with some neutral oil (grapeseed, canola) and then kept in the frig anytime you want fresh dill. Pea shoots are awesome chopped up in a salad, so sweet.

Radish tops.... same as for turnips like the veggie but not sure about the top... just throw???
    I love radish tops! I pretty much treat them like spinach -- eat them raw on salads (kind of peppery, like radishes are), stirfry them, treat them like the fragile greens they are (radish greens cook as quickly as spinach does). It's rare for me to see good-quality greens on supermarket radishes, though the ones at my food co-op are good and the ones I got from the farmer's market are in great shape, too.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I wouldn't make a whole salad with escarole (I had to look it up, I've always heard it called endive) but a little of it mixed with other less bitter greens, can be delightful. Especially if you add a little goat cheese. goat cheese counterbalances escarole/endive really well since it's kind of sweet tasting.

Turnip tops I would use the same as I would spinach. Maybe in an omelet, or stir fried with other veggies and perhaps some chicken. Same with the radish tops. Leafy cooking greens like this can also be frozen if you have too much to eat now. Blanch them briefly then cool down and wring out the water as much as possible and freeze. If you have room in the freezer do this on wax paper on a flat pan and then put in a bag of some sort so that it's not all frozen in a massive clump. But if you have to freeze it as a clump that's ok because it's low density enough that you can hack off a piece and put the rest back in the freezer.

Sweet potatoes. We eat them baked with butter and cinnamon/sugar. (we do this so often that we actually have a sugar bowl that has sugar and cinnamon combined in it.) Butter and brown sugar would probably also work. I like sweet potato fries but SO isn't a big fan, so I don't do that very often.

Dill is also yummy with regular roasted potatoes. Cut them up in a pan for the oven with a little butter and dill.

I'm not a super fan of leeks. About the only non-soup thing we've ever made with them is a casserole with winter squash, leeks, hazelnuts and goat cheese and a bit of heavy cream and a bit of pepper to pull it all together into a casserole. Since you also have sweet potatoes, maybe you could try substituting sweet potatoes instead of winter squash?

Love sweet potatoes! A favorite is twice baked sweet potatoes. Bake, slice in half, scoop out potato and save "shell", mash, add whatever you want - diced veggie, ground meat, cheese, etc. - mix, and put back into shells. I've found that these do freeze decently, but the shells get a little softer. When ready to eat, just bake that second time.

Have radishes growing and found this, as yet untried, recipe for the greens: https://www.fromachefskitchen.com/radish-greens-pesto/

Years ago, an old roommate made leek & potato soup. It's the first time I ever had leeks and was really good. Sorry, no recipe to share, but I imagine there are several out on the internet.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thanks for all the ideas!! So far I know I will be trying sweet potato fries and sweet potato pie, cooked turnip and radish greens, and putting many of the greens in soups. I did make a black bean soup with leeks (and other veggies) and used the fresh thyme. It has a wonderful flavor. I previously have just washed spinach, parsley, and kale and just put it in bags in the freezer. I took out what I wanted for soups and it turned out great. I didn't blanch or do anything to it...

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-ad...up-too-article

happy stuff mentioned making radish greens pesto. Not sure what to do with pesto??? I know many people put it with pasta or on pizza????

Pesto makes a good dip, and can be used as salad dressing. My favorite is spinach-walnut with avocado oil and the requisite garlic.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Pesto makes a good dip, and can be used as salad dressing. My favorite is spinach-walnut with avocado oil and the requisite garlic.
    Thanks Jane. Based on your recommendation... I found this recipe I am going to try. Will use spinach, walnuts and avocado oil.

https://winterfamilyrecipes.wordpres...-walnut-pesto/

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Thanks Jane. Based on your recommendation... I found this recipe I am going to try. Will use spinach, walnuts and avocado oil.

https://winterfamilyrecipes.wordpres...-walnut-pesto/
    Excellent--I forgot to add the Parmesan. Looks good.

Thread Information