Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bean recipes wanted

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...an-chick-peas/ Chana Masala

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2041999 Garbanzo-cauliflower Masala

Amazon sells dried black soybeans.
    I never tried to reconstitute dried beans until I got an Instant Pot, which cuts the cooking time considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Amazon sells dried black soybeans.
    I never tried to reconstitute dried beans until I got an Instant Pot, which cuts the cooking time considerably.
    Thanks, Jane! Back when I was cooking beans, I was a huge fan of soaked dried beans, cooked either in the slow cooker or the pressure cooker; the texture was way better than the same beans, canned -- and some bean varieties rarely are available canned.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Dried beans are a lot more convenient to store, if not to cook.

Earlier this week I ate lima beans from our garden. Stored in the freezer for a couple of years. They were sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Earlier this week I ate lima beans from our garden. Stored in the freezer for a couple of years. They were sublime.
    Apparently lima beans aren't a favorite with many, but I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Thanks, Jane! Back when I was cooking beans, I was a huge fan of soaked dried beans, cooked either in the slow cooker or the pressure cooker; the texture was way better than the same beans, canned -- and some bean varieties rarely are available canned.
    I remember reading somewhere that beans need to be boiled, at least some types, to remove some sort of toxin. Does a slow cooker get hot enough to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that beans need to be boiled, at least some types, to remove some sort of toxin. Does a slow cooker get hot enough to do that?
    I've heard that too. I think it may be specific to kidney beans. There is a toxin in kidney beans that needs thorough cooking to remove and some feel a crock pot may not accomplish it correctly. I think a crockpot makes a superior pinto beans.

Pinto beans are really my favorite. They are the ones I cook regularly and I love them just as they are. Sometimes with pork, or bacon or jalapeno, and sometimes with just salt. YUM. They say that all legumes should be soaked at least for some time to remove some kind of anti nutrients? I don't know...I love them, but they are very gas producing for me. I find long soaking, with repeated draining and rinsing, really reduces the production of gas.

Other than pintos, I occasionally will make black bean burgers or felafels with garbanzos.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    beans need to be boiled, at least some types, to remove some sort of toxin
    Hmm. I'd never heard that. Not that it's inaccurate; I simply am unaware of it. Slow cookers do reach around 250 degrees when they're fully heated up (I've seen boiling liquid in mine before) so maybe I was lucky to avoid that issue.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I didn't know that about kidney beans either, but I've started doing the "bring to a boil, sit 1 hour" method and then cook in the crockpot. I assume that should take care of any toxins, hopefully. lol.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

10 minutes of boiling is particular to kidney beans. They should not be cooked in a crockpot unless boiled on the stove first. Other beans are ok to cook from dry in the crockpot.

Bean recipes:
    Easy: beans, greens, and carotenes. Always a delicious combination. Examples: Black beans, roasted sweet potatoes, and kale. Great northern bean soup with carrots and spinach. Lentil tacos with shredded carrots and shredded cabbage (red cabbage is great for this).

More involved: black bean enchiladas. There are a million recipes out there so I won't put specifics here. Mine are filled with vegetables and beans. Adding cream cheese to the filling makes these especially delicious.

I made these lentil walnut burgers a few weeks ago - they were the best veggie burgers I've made (and I've tried a lot of recipes). I think I used cumin instead of thyme.

Thread Information