Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Found a house to buy but...

Beautiful land and beautiful houses around you, too. How likely is it you will find something this nice at 1600 square feet that will not need remodeling?

Without rooms you can close off that would be way too big for me. The biggest house I lived in was 2000 sq ft with 5 people. I can’t imagine being in a home that big for 2. Cleaning it would be a pain. Our 1400 sq ft is perfect.

Yea, TT, I keep thinking about all the furniture a big house takes. The property tax though will be the clincher. We are now used to about $1200 here in Colorado and it will be around $5K there. We paid $10K in Austin.

When we moved we sold half of our furniture. Those property taxes are expensive. We have gotten spoiled because ours are only 700/year. It’s a odd formula where they take the age of the home into consideration.

Texas is funny--hard to find a house smaller than 2500 sq.ft.! I saw an HGTV episode set in TX once and the older couple was "downsizing" to 4000 sq.ft.

The back yard in the picture is beautiful. I guess the question is how desperate are you to buy right now, how much do you feel in your heart that this is "the" house, and can you live with the negatives in order to get the positives?

I'm a strong believer in my gut. I also feel it would be good to see it in person to see if your heart beats faster when you walk up to it. But that's just my woo-woo hippie take on it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Yea, TT, I keep thinking about all the furniture a big house takes. The property tax though will be the clincher. We are now used to about $1200 here in Colorado and it will be around $5K there. We paid $10K in Austin.
    You don’t need more furniture to fill it up. You really don’t.

For the living room, make a seating group out of your current furniture. Done. So what if there’s a vast space left around it? Really, so what? Easier to clean the floors that way.

If the answer is that your gut says it’s too vast and empty, I would then say you don’t want such big rooms and this is not the house for you.

That's a good idea, IL, a good way to think it through.

2500 sq. feet really isn't too much--I grew up in houses that big. You can always close off extra rooms and not worry about heating or cleaning them much. The only factor for me would be property taxes and cost of gardeners, etc.

Many houses here in CO have large sq footage because their basements are the same size as the main floor - like having two houses really. Many from the 50s and 60s at 3000 or more.

If half is in the basement you just close it off. But 2500 on one floor with big rooms is huge.

Thread Information