Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What would you do: Property/real estate version

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    One of my favorite landscape books is this: https://www.amazon.com/Landscaping-S.../dp/B000FFJSNA We have a tiny lot, just over 5k sq ft. and one of the best advice I got from the book was to figure out exactly what kind of privacy you need and where you need it. And to only block that, and with the lightest barrier needed to preserve the sense of space. We often think we need more privacy than we actually do. It was good advice.

I like lots of privacy because I often go outside in my underwear when taking the dogs out or changing out of dirty clothes after gardening. But I only need tall screening from my 2-story neighbor's bathroom window so I planted a clumping bamboo in that spot. Works great and the garden still feels spacious. My friend lives on a golf course, no kids, no pets, no fences at all, just the occasional flying golf ball. She got boinged on the head while sitting on her patio when she first moved in. And she rents, so she put up on of these: https://www.amazon.com/Z-UP-SR9104BL...000T9QSDK?th=1

She attached curtains that she can close when she wants privacy. It makes it look like a cute little pergola/arbor. It's super easy to put up, move, take down, store, etc. And it's nice if she's entertaining and doesn't want her guests to feel like they're on display. Which I can attest it does feel like that when you're sitting there having lunch and a bunch of guys walk by lugging their golf gear and looking at you.
    Great advice! That book looks great. I think I kind of have that way of thinking in my head--that's why I like the idea of a 6 ft fence and then decreasing it to a smaller size where we don't care as much.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I figure the housing market will tank just as I put my house up for sale (which is a purely apocryphal scenario). The taxes here, as I've whined about before, are outrageous, IMO.
    I KNOW that's what's going to happen to me, Jane. I never acquired the genes the paternal side of my family--the ones who made millions in real estate over the past 3 generations. Somebody along the line must have done something wrong and I got their Karma.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Yppej
    Wow, it would never occur to me to outside in my underwear, but I do go out in my pajamas.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Wow, it would never occur to me to outside in my underwear, but I do go out in my pajamas.
    We just put in an outdoor shower because I don't want to give up the clawfoot tub inside just yet. So now we have a walk-in shower, but it's outdoors. I did make sure it was tall enough for total privacy for the person inside, but one design flaw a didn't count on is that if you walk out on the side porch, which is three steps higher than the base of the shower stall, you can peer over and look inside.

Now, I know that that is very unlikely to happen up here, but to be honest, it still intimidates me. DH or DS are fine with it, but I'm now thinking of putting up some kind of railing planter with tall plants for extra protection--although God knows no one wants to accidentally see a 68-year old woman taking a shower buck naked.

So, I'm with you--I don't think I'd be stepping outside in my underwear either, fence or no fence. My modesty is hard wired from 12 years of Catholic school.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I KNOW that's what's going to happen to me, Jane. I never acquired the genes the paternal side of my family--the ones who made millions in real estate over the past 3 generations. Somebody along the line must have done something wrong and I got their Karma.

Thread Information