Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would you do: Property/real estate version

Okay, googled it, were you thinking something like this netting?

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...68&kwds=&rfmt=

Not sure how it goes up, maybe like a volleyball net or something?

$269 for 150 feet, that's not bad.

I designed and helped build a 7 foot folding screen with rip-stop nylon panels to put in the patio area of my condo; I was so tired of being peered at by the neighbors, but that kind of thing is probably too small for your situation.

That roll-out fencing is what Fences for Fido uses to build enclosures for chained dogs up here. It seems to work.

Whatever the solution, your son should be the one to pay for it, IMO.

While the neighbors have the right to cut off limbs that grow over their property, they can not do so much that they kill it (they did). So your left with the legal options (are they worth it?).
    Now fencing requires permits, typically. So I am with Pinkytoe on option three. Make a flower bed, and put up some stakes where you mount 4x8' sheets of lattice work on, to the height you want, and plant vine type of plants on it. It is NOT a fence, but provides the same features.
    That, or leave the fence/bush replacement for the next buyer, whoever that is.

Geila
    If you wait long enough, the neighbor might put up the fence himself. After all, he's the one who destroyed the hedge. They might realize what that cost them. If your son wants something, I would think they can put simple curtains with outdoor fabric or shade cloth exactly there they want them. Easy and cheap. I'm surprised he asking you guys to pay for the fencing. Didn't they tell you they were moving just recently, and that you should prepare to put the house on the market?

So, DS did not ask us to pay for fencing... the landscaper provided a bid and he simply passed it along to us as information. However, yes, they DO need more privacy. Interestingly, my DIL already bought something very similar to Tybee's suggestion, but it had a defective part, and they have to return it. That may be the way to go moving forward.

Apparently my son has spoken frequently with the neighbors and it turns out that their son is autistic. He's the one who comes over uninvited to hang out with my grandkids, and our neighbor said she's never known him to reach out to socialize with other people. So my son actually feels bad now about shutting him out.

Anyway, my convo with my son included sharing with him all your great suggestions about lattice and plantings on my side, and the link to Overstock, etc., so he has tons of options, and he doesn't expect us to pay. He just wanted to share information and get our advice.

Also, DS let it slip that his MIL has been pushing them to buy our house.. and Quicken Loans recently offered me a much lower interest rate as long as we stay in the house for 12 months, so we'll let this all unfold and see what happens. As long as we don't get caught in ANOTHER RECESSION!!!!

Thanks for all your ideas... DS, DIL, DH and I really appreciate it!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am not sure why you think we would be getting another recession?!!! What economic indicators could possibly be showing that as near term outcome?

/sarcasm ( meant in a friendly spirit)

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    were you thinking something like this netting?
    That was the prime candidate in my mind, yes. There also are items sold as room dividers which can be placed outside. Then there are window coverings. It really depends on how much privacy people believe they need.

But I say that as a guy whose house is maybe 10-15 feet away from one of the neighbor's houses. We have curtains along some of the windows on that side. That's enough for us.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am not sure why you think we would be getting another recession?!!! What economic indicators could possibly be showing that as near term outcome?

/sarcasm ( meant in a friendly spirit)
    Housing prices here have taken a big jump recently. Supposedly, Seattle's in the top 10 markets for appreciation. It will be interesting to see how that is affected by recent events.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Housing prices here have taken a big jump recently. Supposedly, Seattle's in the top 10 markets for appreciation. It will be interesting to see how that is affected by recent events.
    This bag lady says about this current real estate market BS “Weird unexplainable market optimism especially as we are seeing in the insane stock market feels very 2007-ish.”

Here anyway fairly strong real estate prices for most market segments has to do with low inventory.

I do not pretend to predict any economic reality in the future and no one can do it. I own two houses now and can easily afford them they are both paid for and are a small part of our net worth. I would not be sinking money into real estate right now in any way other than a primary place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This bag lady says about this current real estate market BS “Weird unexplainable market optimism especially as we are seeing in the insane stock market feels very 2007-ish.”

Here anyway fairly strong real estate prices for most market segments has to do with low inventory.

I do not pretend to predict any economic reality in the future and no one can do it. I own two houses now and can easily afford them they are both paid for and are a small part of our net worth. I would not be sinking money into real estate right now in any way other than a primary place to live.
    I figure the housing market will tank just as I put my house up for sale (which is a purely apocryphal scenario). The taxes here, as I've whined about before, are outrageous, IMO.

Thread Information