Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can no longer be fired for being gay!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

I can no longer be fired for being gay!

Whoever would have thought that such a basic human right could come to the United States, of all places? I did not believe I would live to see this. I'm floored - I now have almost the level of human rights an Argentinian citizen has (not quite as Argentine lives are worth socialized medicine). Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Whoever would have thought that such a basic human right could come to the United States, of all places? I did not believe I would live to see this. I'm floored - I now have almost the level of human rights an Argentinian citizen has (not quite as Argentine lives are worth socialized medicine). Rob
    Have you ever been fired for being gay?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yes. Twice - but admittedly awhile ago, in the 80's and 90's. And I lived somewhere this was perfectly legal so SOL and what a life lesson in the truth of America - one you yourself have been spared. Rob

Good news. Still shaking my head that 3 of the justices voted against it. good grief.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    My father has worked in places where being gay was grounds for termination, and he is gay. As a result, he had to conceal his lifestyle from his coworkers. Probably not the happiest of times for him.

I was pleasantly surprised by that decision.

I once had to sign a document affirming I wasn’t gay during my military service.

You are aware you can be fired for any other reason or no reason right? At will employment. So why can't an employer fire one for any or no reason,and claim it has nothing to do with being gay? And how would you prove otherwise? Because generally one has no recourse for being fired just because. Heck if one was manipulative one could just very well set up job conditions that couldn't be met, and then oops you didn't meet them. But one has a lot more leeway and doesn't even need to do that, that's at-will employment. Most firings do qualify for unemployment, but other than that.
    Trees don't grow on money

I had no idea job discrimination against gays was still allowed in some states. On a similar topic though, discriminating against employment of older folk is alive and well even though illegal.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I once had to sign a document affirming I wasn’t gay during my military service.
    If there was a draft sounds like it would have been easy to get out of it. Just claim to be gay.
    Last edited by Yppej; 6-16-20 at 5:29am.

Thread Information