Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I can no longer be fired for being gay!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    If there was a draft sounds like it would have been easy to get out of. Just claim to be gay.
    I have a friend who got out of the draft during vietnam this way. (not claiming, but actually being gay and admitting it.) He had to go before his town's draft board to plead his case and they then voted whether to believe him or not. By a vote of 3/2 he didn't have to join the army. The deciding vote was a friend of his father, "Joe" who told him that he would vote in his favor but only if my friend would agree that Joe could inform friend's father of what had occurred. Friend had already told his father that he was gay and said "go ahead and call him now if you'd like". Friend doesn't think Joe ever called his father.

Personally I've never had an employer who had an issue with my sexuality. And for 30 years now they've all known about it because long ago I made the decision that I wasn't going to lie about it to anyone. Eleven years ago when we moved to San Francisco for SO's new job I was interviewing for jobs and when people inquired why I had moved to SF without a job I was honest about quiting my NYC job to move here for SO's job. No one batted an eye. Admittedly this is SF, so it actually would've been quite surprising to me if anyone had had a problem. There are just too many LGBT people here for it to be an issue. As an example, for a couple of years the building we live in, six units, had 67% of them occupied entirely by gay men, and we're in a sleepy bedroom part of town, not any of the trendy or specifically gay neighborhoods.

I do, however, have friends elsewhere that have lost jobs because they were gay. The most recent lives in upstate NY and had worked as an elementary music teacher at a catholic school. When NY state began allowing gay marriage he married his long-time partner. The school found out and fired him because of it. They had known of the existence of the partner for years, as well as their two adopted children both of whom attended the school, but felt that they couldn't have a teacher on staff who was married to a same sex partner since that went against the church's teachings. I'm not quite sure how all that is logical, but that's how it played out.

In states that aren’t right to work you can’t be fired for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    In states that aren’t right to work you can’t be fired for no reason.
    Almost all states are employment-at-will, and you can be fired because your manager doesn't like the color of your shirt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

But in an at-will state you still can't fire someone for being female, being old, being a religion you don't like, being gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    But in an at-will state you still can't fire someone for being female, being old, being a religion you don't like, being gay.
    Maybe not getting fired, but getting hired in the first place is often difficult for these reasons, even though it wouldn't be stated as the "official" reason.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Maybe not getting fired, but getting hired in the first place is often difficult for these reasons, even though it wouldn't be stated as the "official" reason.
    Exactly!!

I remember reading about this case when it happened. Oregon's teacher of the year in 2014 was fired for being gay. Despite living in a state that had job protections for gay people. If he had lived in one of the states that didn't have protections until yesterday's supreme court decision he may have not ultimately prevailed.

https://www.vox.com/2015/7/6/8900589...oregon-teacher

Thread Information