Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow, the Dow

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Iris Lilies, we are still 60% equities as we are only moving 10% into cash. We still have a large portfolio mostly index funds and such now. It is all a gamble. Whether or not Trump is President, the economics are going to be difficult.
    Ah, very helpful.

That is too high for me, but I really appreciate knowing your percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ah, very helpful.

That is too high for me, but I really appreciate knowing your percentage.
    I generally am at a very conservative 30% equities, 70% fixed and cash, but at times I have been at a 50/50 allocation, IL.

I really liked Wes Moss's book and his philosophy, which is to be more of an income investor. He says by your 60's, all of your stocks should be paying a dividend. You might really enjoy his book:
    https://www.amazon.com/You-Retire-So.../dp/007183902X

It's all about what the happiest retirees have in common, and how to structure a happy retirement. He has his own thinking about retirement allocation, but I found the holistic approach to retirement to be really useful.

As of the beginning of this month, we were at 66% stocks, 33% money market/cash, 1% bonds. Again, however, that's money we can be aggressive in investing. If that were our entire nest egg, the allocation would be more conservative. I'll decide by the end of the month if I want to move more into cash.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I look the test on Vanguard and it suggested the 30/70 allocation as being what I was suited for, very conservative. You can find test here, for anyone who is interested:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/FundsInvQuestionnaire

I appreciate these recent posts and will be spending more time with these concepts.

I didnt want to take my questions to the MMM kids because I would have to endure lectures about “Why do you have so much in brokerage accounts you are paying someone to manage” when this is not under my exclusive control. DH is all about thr brokers, sigh.

The Bogelheads site is too advanced for me.

Here is another book I would recommend for you--it's kind of off the beaten track but he is an interesting writer and thinker, and I like how he lays out some of the perils of investment and how you need to find the right investments for you:

https://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-.../dp/1564145913

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Here is another book I would recommend for you--it's kind of off the beaten track but he is an interesting writer and thinker, and I like how he lays out some of the perils of investment and how you need to find the right investments for you:

https://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-.../dp/1564145913
    My library doesn’t have that book and it’s not widely distributed. There’s only one review on Amazon Ha interesting. Anyway maybe I’ll track that down someday but I don’t want a physical copy at $30.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    My library doesn’t have that book and it’s not widely distributed. There’s only one review on Amazon Ha interesting. Anyway maybe I’ll track that down someday but I don’t want a physical copy at $30.
    Amazon has several used copies for $4.79.

OK. As a result of this discussion, I made the important first step toward charting all of our assets in asset classes.

I decided the broker who has the most of our money can run that report for me. He likes doing this kind of thing and he did a quick and dirty one for us a couple years ago with only estimates and limited knowledge of all accounts. This time I’m giving him all the numbers and names of actual holdings so he can plug them into sectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Amazon has several used copies for $4.79.
    . I may consider that then after I’ve done this analysis.

Thread Information