Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Election Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    They said Antifa, but people seem to prefer other explanations. Personally, I have no idea.
    I just remember, when I was involved briefly in Marketing, we had people whose job it was to look over our advertising very very keenly looking for things that could be misinterpreted and cause The Dreaded Corporate Apology Thing to happen. And we were only a Silicon Valley tech company.

If I were the President, or someone in charge of running a Presidential campaign, I'd be super duper careful about this stuff, it doesn't cost all that much to do it right.

If trump were a fan of antifa or planned parenthood than one of those options might make sense. Considering that trump has also recently threatened State violence against anyone exercising their first amendment rights to protest in oklahoma this weekend I’d put my money on bae’s explanation.

If you want to dogwhistle you do in a subtle way, so noone can be quite sure what is being said, certainly not most who may not be in with the in-crowd and whatever it is you are really signaling, you work on the *plausible* as opposed to completely implausible deniability. As someone said with Trump dogwhistles that sound like trainwhistles, yep incompetent at even dogwhistling, it would be far too subtle.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I’d put my money on bae’s explanation.
    To be fair, I did not offer an explanation, just a taxonomy, and some random observations.

I agree with Alan - I don't think we can actually know, there are too many possibilities and variables.

It does however appear to me to be a bit inept.

That could be, but from what I've seen this morning, it's not his base that's jazzed up about it.
    oh that we had a “like” thread function.

I didn’t wade into this thread earlier todaY because I was occupied with another one of my favorite forums and the racism debates, and moderator toppling, that is taking place there. Anyways... I have two observations:

1: Trump is not and never has been subtle. What you all are ascribing to him is not his style.

2. our resident Trumpster, Alan, (as called out by frugal-one) doesn’t know what the red triangle means. He is a pretty smart guy, our Alan. Kinda hard for me to see this red triangle, odd tho it is, as a secret signal to the initiates.

How does this make any sense, that which you all are finding so full of evil?
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-19-20 at 10:50pm.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I just remember, when I was involved briefly in Marketing, we had people whose job it was to look over our advertising very very keenly looking for things that could be misinterpreted and cause The Dreaded Corporate Apology Thing to happen. And we were only a Silicon Valley tech company.

If I were the President, or someone in charge of running a Presidential campaign, I'd be super duper careful about this stuff, it doesn't cost all that much to do it right.
    I'm sure they were careful, because he only hires the very best people.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Now that's interesting! I didn't notice the Wikipedia link's "needs verification" notice when I posted it and the footer show's it was edited today. LOL
    As for the CS Monitor link, it says several things for those with open minds to ingest. The most telling thing to me is that given several historical uses of the image, they chose to link this usage to the one most likely to make you happy. Will you reward them with a subscription?

Any intelligent group would not use a symbol that has possible negative connotations! I think it was done to show the true nature of the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I think it was done to show the true nature of the beast.
    Have you parsed the forbidden ad for signs of too many 6's?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    2. our resident Trumpster, Alan, (as called out by frugal-one) doesn’t know what the red triangle means.
    To be fair, while pretty much all white supremacists are trumpsters, not all trumpsters are white supremacists. Alan is almost certainly not a white supremacist, at least if his persona here is to be believed. Those little red triangles weren't targeted at Alan. Which is exactly the way dog whistles work. Only the intended recipient is supposed to hear them. But when there's a plausibly deniable dog whistle in just about every damn thing the president does, it begs credibility when people try to push them off as just accidental.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    But when there's a plausibly deniable dog whistle in just about every damn thing the president does, it begs credibility when people try to push them off as just accidental.
    Indeed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayes%27_theorem

Thread Information