Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One Would Think We Lived In A First World Country!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

One Would Think We Lived In A First World Country!

At least in Colorado. This past Friday Colorado's Governor signed a bill STRIPPING POLICE OF QUALIFIED IMMUNITY. Can you believe that? Ir's like land in Denver and you've entered a safer and somewhat worthwhile country.

I am absolutely blown out to sea. Call me Nautical Rob. Whoever would have thought that anywhere in America in our lifetimes human rights could mean so much? Rob

One caveat - this does not take effect until July 2023. I guess that gives time for the sociopaths to quit and for new blood who can comply to be hired. And it will embolden more people against the police - filming heinous acts and more lawsuits. All in all, something to be celebrated. And I thought it was only Minneapolis that was shaping up to be a Human Rights Mecca. Rob

Rob, people of color have had enough and I think they finally have wider support. It’s about time!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Rob, people of color have had enough and I think they finally have wider support. It’s about time!
    YES! I could not agree more. And is it EVER about time! Rob

I think another good thing is that there are more people in interracial relationships and white people are worried about their mixed grandchildren. This is all good news!

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    One caveat - this does not take effect until July 2023. I guess that gives time for the sociopaths to quit and for new blood who can comply to be hired. And it will embolden more people against the police - filming heinous acts and more lawsuits. All in all, something to be celebrated. And I thought it was only Minneapolis that was shaping up to be a Human Rights Mecca. Rob
    Talked to my son in Minneapolis today and he said there were shootings and the police tried getting there. People threw rocks and prevented it. So, now the police will not even try to come to the area. Is this a good thing? I don't think so. Will the gangs and such start to take over?

Here's the text of Washington State's "qualified immunity" statute:

https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.46.212

"When physical injury to a person or substantial damage to property occurs, or is about to occur, within the presence of an officer of the commission designated with police powers pursuant to RCW 9.46.210, the designated officer is authorized to take such action as is reasonably necessary to prevent physical injury to a person or substantial damage to property or prevent further injury to a person or further substantial damage to property. A designated officer shall be immune from civil liability for damages arising out of the action of the designated officer to prevent physical injury to a person or substantial damage to property or prevent further injury to a person or further substantial damage to property, unless it is shown that the designated officer acted with gross negligence or bad faith."

What in the text constitutes an offense to human rights?

It's not a free pass. And if you look at the use-of-force laws in this state, you'll perhaps notice that law enforcement officers are *more* restricted in use-of-force than civilians.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    At least in Colorado. This past Friday Colorado's Governor signed a bill STRIPPING POLICE OF QUALIFIED IMMUNITY. Can you believe that? Ir's like land in Denver and you've entered a safer and somewhat worthwhile country.
    I'm so disappointed to see people throughout this country doing things they'll soon regret, this is one of them.

It's hard enough being a police officer these days without making them liable for any damages alleged while protecting persons or property. It seems to me that when politicians do stupid things such as this in order to capitalize on dumbass voters emotions, they're trading the long term stability of their jurisdictions for their short term benefit.

And Rob, tell me, if God forbid someone were to beat you nearly to death while a policeman simply watched due to his fear that saving you would create financial ruin, possible legal charges and loss of job, would you then try to capitalize through lawsuits alleging malfeasance or dereliction of duty?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    And Rob, tell me, if God forbid someone were to beat you nearly to death while a policeman simply watched due to his fear that saving you would create financial ruin, possible legal charges and loss of job, would you then try to capitalize through lawsuits alleging malfeasance or dereliction of duty?
    Well, Rob wouldn't get very far with that, as it is a "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)

All I'm going to say is that for millions of Americans, current US policing is problemstic at best and for the most part, does not work well if at all. I am literally sick of living in fear of insufficiently vetted sociopaths that have managed to get through whatever wesk screening for such there may or may not be. If things don't keep changing, don't be surprised to see a Citizenship Buyout Movement start and sweep nationwide - many people are tealizing that they can do better elsewhere - and America's greatest nightmare? They are more and more willing to hold America accountable. I think the next few years may be a shock to conservative middle class and above law and order types - and a source of great joy for potential 24/7/365 victims of America such as myself. The order of things us changing as your system is crystal clear racist, evil, and abusive.

Evil and abusive? You better believe it. Too many George Floyd's. I can't even begin to understand how Conservatives could be so hateful as to continue to support a system that allows George Floyd to be murdered in cold blood. But at least your way is on it's way out. Thank God.

Huge consession and attempt at an olive branch on my part? I don't know if that which is replacing your way will work. I really don't. It's rather new and shocking for America to have human rights FOR ALL have a place at the table. I'm willing to take the chance. I deserve better than to live on a country that claims to be wealthy but has third world policing on top of human life not being worth access to socialized meficine. America simply is too hypocritically abusive and over the top - it expects too much potential victimizaton out of me to be borne.

But at least people are fighting back against America and all that it truly stands for. What hope! What joy! What a wonderful time to live somewhere like the 85006 and be alive. Colorado won't be the last state to kick qualified immunity to the curb. Nor will the latest round of sociopathic thuggish police officers be the last to be charged, held accountable, and have their lives destroyed as they so richly deserve.

Remember when I posted not long ago that accountabilty was coming? It's knocking at door to pay a social call right now folks. Will you do as I and politely answer the door and let accountability in - or will it need to be like an illegal band of SWAT thugs breaking down your door and murdering pets and humans alike for no.legal reason (an everyday occurence in America)? Your choice. Point? Accountability has FINALLY arrived. I can deal. Can you? Rob

Thread Information