Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: One Would Think We Lived In A First World Country!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Things are changing all over. The Simple Living Forum is definitely not as nice or as fun as it used to be. But, like everything everywhere, things always continue to change and, there is hope.
    This forum used to have a much lighter tone. I do miss that. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    so, when the Civil War comes, I have so many questions about your role in it.

But first of all, so will that event cause you to abandon your mother? Because you said she is the reason why you’ve not moved out of the country already.

But I don’t understand if there is a Civil War (and I’m vague about what all that means and don’t really want to explore it) why wouldn’t you stick around to be an activist for your side, whatever that might be?
    IL, I don't know that Civil War is coming. I do believe it's possible based on rampant inequality and government incompetence/abuse. There is a marked increase in anger out there and for once, a fairer share of said anger is being directed towatds America. 'Bout time. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    This forum used to have a much lighter tone. I do miss that. Rob
    I can't remember if it was on the original forum or here, that the Public Policy forum was started just to sort of "contain" the - shall we say, less friendly(?) - types of discussions that are now all over the place. It was easy to avoid a specific forum, now the discussions are not always what the titles may imply - LOL. Again, things change all the time.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

That's so true, Happystuff. You can't just stay off Public Policy and avoid the unfriendly posts anymore, like the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    That's so true, Happystuff. You can't just stay off Public Policy and avoid the unfriendly posts anymore, like the old days.
    It is the trump-era. Things were more genteel prior to his rhetoric. Now anything goes whether true or not.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    It is the trump-era. Things were more genteel prior to his rhetoric. Now anything goes whether true or not.
    Things - AND PEOPLE - were more genteel and definitely seemed less hate-filled/hateful. I miss the days of simple kindness and politeness.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

It's perceived (and this is not entirely wrong) as life and death for many people now. And even if that's always true for some, or some people living half a world away, it's now true for many.

Especially with a pandemic raging and out of control in the U.S., which causes as pandemics tend to do: Death. So life and death for oneself and people one loves. One can argue the degree this is true of the pandemic, and that's arguing the probable death and disability rate, ultimately in the end an empirical matter but we don't have all the info and anyway statistics say nothing about individuals. So those are what can be seen as the stakes.
    Trees don't grow on money

I can remember some pretty heated exchanges in years past. Remember Billy Bare Butt? Half the time I couldn’t figure out why he was so outraged.

And I forget the name of the lady who was so angry at the ASSCLOWN REPUBLICANS that she pretty much lived with the caps-lock key down.

But I do think it’s true that the political has seemed to become personal for many of us lately; perhaps to an extent that is both sad and a little funny.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I can remember some pretty heated exchanges in years past. Remember Billy Bare Butt? Half the time I couldn’t figure out why he was so outraged.

And I forget the name of the lady who was so angry at the ASSCLOWN REPUBLICANS that she pretty much lived with the caps-lock key down.

But I do think it’s true that the political has seemed to become personal for many of us lately; perhaps to an extent that is both sad and a little funny.
    I see nothing funny. I would appreciate a laugh... enlighten me!

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    He was angry in sympathy for the boobies of the world! Boobies should be free! They should not be contained in bras or other binding pieces of clothing.

Thread Information