Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Covid Winners

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I am more impressed with people who go all out to earn a living honestly. He loves his job and if he starts early, will be well thought of and have probably first choices.

Does your husband understand the lesson his is giving your son and what hie suggestion tells his son about his own character?
    No, my son is definitely going back. He knows he's doing the right thing.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I hope people still get partial unemployment because it’s tough to be in a situation where you may not be working enough to pay the bills. My kids are actually downsizing to a smaller, cheaper apartment because my DIL will only be working 3 days/week and tips will probably not be good.

I think for many people the forced time off was not a vacation. For many, if not most, they are worried about what is going to happen next. Sure, there are always those who brag but the worriers are often very quiet.
    no doubt

songs from the government? many exist. UB40 was named after an unemployment program in the UK, well the UK had a generous welfare state at one point. The U.S. never had that, it did however once upon a time have a job market that was good enough to allow a fair amount of leeway to make mistakes (like trying to make a career in music) and get back in the system working for the man if they didn't pan out.

As for working off the books, there seems whole systems set up to enable that. Like there are government programs here to buy property at below market prices. As market prices are unaffordable to the vast majority this sounds wonderful right. Then you look at the income requirements and they are so low that you could NOT AFFORD the property even at those rates if you ACTUALLY earned that income. So who exactly is making use of these programs? Hmm ..
    Trees don't grow on money

Hormel, the maker of SPAM brand canned meat, is enjoying high demand. Consumption of canned meat increased 70% over the past 15 weeks, as shoppers look for substitutes for fresh meat. COVID-19 infections in meat packing plants resulted in temporary closures and reduced supply of fresh meat.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post

I think for many people the forced time off was not a vacation. For many, if not most, they are worried about what is going to happen next. Sure, there are always those who brag but the worriers are often very quiet.
    I think for those unemployed during this time, it was a time of worry for the present-paying bills, for their children-if they have them as well as for the future in how to catch up financially and how long that will take. Sadly, the average American savings account of $1000 was hardly a drop in the bucket for most. And considering how many of us are nicely retired and how many billionaires there are in this country, I suspect if the top 2% were removed, average savings is closer to $50.

We keep putting money into the local foodbank and they've done well. Not one person has been turned away and no proof-of-need requested. Farmers are putting out tons of produce for the taking-since restaurant industry is a low-consumer, they have surplus and are giving it away rather than allowing it to spoil.

The goodness of farmers shines through in tough times.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Hormel, the maker of SPAM brand canned meat, is enjoying high demand. Consumption of canned meat increased 70% over the past 15 weeks, as shoppers look for substitutes for fresh meat. COVID-19 infections in meat packing plants resulted in temporary closures and reduced supply of fresh meat.
    Hormel and Spam put DH thru college. His dad worked at a Hormel plant.

Yppej
    Robotics manufacturers. Meatpacking plants are looking to accelerate automation due to covid outbreaks among their employees. Andrew Yang is looking more and more prescient.

Yppej
    Sellers of computers and accessories, with people studying and working at home.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Purely a casual observation, but being a non-meat eater I've noticed the plant based meat alternatives like Beyond Beef seem to have lower store inventories than usual as well.

I suspect Amazon has been doing quit good. My Fidelity advisor has said that there are some tech sector mutual funds that are up 20% or more for the year. I did not do a fact check on that, but suspect many things biotech or or related to online shopping and communications could be winners. Pet and gardening supplies. I would guess that everything combined will mean less auto travel. I've wondered how learning of the ability to work at home for many might affect office space demand.

Yppej
    Video game sales are up 30% compared to last year.

Thread Information